Thread: personal best on fly!

Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar

Default personal best on fly!

Landed the biggest silver on a fly today!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1590.jpg  
    Providing trips for multilpe species for over 20 yrs
    www.kodiakcombos.com

That's a big one. Where was that at if you don't mind me askin?

15 min jet boat ride from old harbor
    www.kodiakcombos.com

wow that is a nice silver

Maybe 16-17#? Nice fish. They can really rip on a fly rod, can't they.

Smile My personal best . . .

My personal best on a fly rod was an 18" brown trout taken in Michigan's Big Manistee River.

It was late one early summer evening, I was wading, casting a size 16 sulphur dun . . not much happening other than a few brookies rising to a desultory hatch of sulphurs when a brown drake hatch started coming off. As the hatch picked up, this brown began rising not too far in front of me . . big, slurpy rises . . I knew it was a nice fish. Clipped off the sulphur and nervously bent on a brown drake I'd tied myself.

Inching forward to a good casting position behind and to the right, the trout kept rising, and on about the third cast I got the fly over him, timed just right, and no drag. Perfect, and down went my fly. I was using an Orvis 6-weight with a 5X tippet . . played him gently until he was tired enough to slip over the lip of my net.

Have caught many bigger fish since but none can come close to competing with that one . . perfect in every sense . . .

As someone said: "In old age our memories become like that spot on the river where we go to wait for the evening hatch and the last cast of the day."

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Maybe 16-17#? Nice fish. They can really rip on a fly rod, can't they.
    My son Garett an i were just lookin to add some more silvers to the cold smoker. The silvers were schooled up thick in this long deep stretch of river where we could easily catch em with spinners or eggs an bobber, well they just quit biting so I decided to try the fly rod and wow! Short quick pulls was the trick for enticing them to bite the purple egg sucking leech
    www.kodiakcombos.com

Marcus that is a nice fish however I would like to point out you were fishing Rainbow Bend and caught a Brown on the Big Manistee :-) Sorry as you know it is a Mich Thing. Thanks for sharing. Only issue is you reminded me that the Browns are coming up on the Spawn now and I am in North Pole in the middle of Hockey Season. Sorry to say Teeny is right I need to get on a plane and chase Bones around Nassau. I think he is correct that it would help me getting a fix on a fly. I was back in MI in May fishing our little speckled friends on the Maple so I guess that will just have to do for now.

Personal Best on a Fly for trout - 31 inch Lake Run Brown on Iron River over flow Lake Independence Big Bay cheated though fished him with a Clouser actually chasing Walleyes in the fall. One of three fish I had mounted. Most memorable trout on a fly 19 inch Skal. Steelie Bordman River down town Traverse City by the post office when I was told I could not catch one in July by my brother. Most memorable Salmon first Atlantic Salmon on a fly Spring of 91 Saranac River down town Plattsburgh NY just over 30 inches on the first cast. Spent the better part of the next three weeks taking nothing (very good lesson) on what not to do.

Sorry for saying to much.

You all have a wonderful day.

Smile The good ol' days . . .

Quote Originally Posted by BlueMoose View Post
    Marcus that is a nice fish however I would like to point out you were fishing Rainbow Bend and caught a Brown on the Big Manistee :-) Sorry as you know it is a Mich Thing. . .

. . Bordman River down town Traverse City . .

BlueMoose,

I got that brown upstream a ways from the Sharon bridge . . in the early 70s . . that was all "flies only" water back then.

And for what it's worth, the first trout I ever caught on a fly was in the Boardman at the Garfield bridge just below Mayfield.

That was fishing . . and I miss it sorely . .

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
    BlueMoose,

I got that brown upstream a ways from the Sharon bridge . . in the early 70s . . that was all "flies only" water back then.

And for what it's worth, the first trout I ever caught on a fly was in the Boardman at the Garfield bridge just below Mayfield.

That was fishing . . and I miss it sorely . .

Take a wheel plane flight to Amber Bay, east of Aniakchak Crater. Land on the beach just north of the southernmost stream that flows into the Cook Inlet/Gulf of Alaska there. Streamers during the middle of August are guaranteed to get you a silver strike on every cast, and only 300-yards from salt water. You'll never have better silver salmon fishing, nor catch larger silvers. GUARANTEED !!!

Smile Quality, not quantity . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly 2 View Post

Take a wheel plane flight to Amber Bay, east of Aniakchak Crater. Land on the beach just north of the southernmost stream that flows into the Cook Inlet/Gulf of Alaska there. Streamers during the middle of August are guaranteed to get you a silver strike on every cast, and only 300-yards from salt water. You'll never have better silver salmon fishing, nor catch larger silvers. GUARANTEED !!!

Flew across the inlet with lower-48 friends for silvers once . . can't remember the name of the river . . fishing was good . . silver after silver . . quite boring to tell the truth. I kept a couple for the grill and then helped the guide tend the tourists.

What made my brown trout memorable is harder to define than a fish-after-fish rodeo.

First, it was close to home, which, to my mind, is perhaps the most fundamental definition of real hunting and fishing.

Too, catching that brown required a near-total immersion into the fish's world . . knowing and recognizing the hatch . . having the correct fly. Those of us who fished that area knew every mayfly hatch, when it occurred, and had flies tied—emergers, duns, & spinners—for each species.

Understanding the fish's lie . . his rise timing . . the necessity of and means to a drag-free float . . all combined into an experience that can't be touched in terms of sheer size and numbers.

Default fly jiggin?

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
    Flew across the inlet with lower-48 friends for silvers once . . can't remember the name of the river . . fishing was good . . silver after silver . . quite boring to tell the truth. I kept a couple for the grill and then helped the guide tend the tourists.

What made my brown trout memorable is harder to define than a fish-after-fish rodeo.

First, it was close to home, which, to my mind, is perhaps the most fundamental definition of real hunting and fishing.

Too, catching that brown required a near-total immersion into the fish's world . . knowing and recognizing the hatch . . having the correct fly. Those of us who fished that area knew every mayfly hatch, when it occurred, and had flies tied—emergers, duns, & spinners—for each species.

Understanding the fish's lie . . his rise timing . . the necessity of and means to a drag-free float . . all combined into an experience that can't be touched in terms of sheer size and numbers.
    Brother inlaws technique for fly fishing was fly jigging? watching the silvers slowly suckup a leech or to watch them chase and turn away at the last minute. A place like this can get us into trouble, we have jet in and out with tides via jet boat. We had so many last casts!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1589.JPG  
    www.kodiakcombos.com

That silver is a monster, great job!
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

Beauty coho. Congrats!

Jealous for sure! Nice fish! Awesome stories here guys...

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

Incredible fish.

I'm guessing closer to 20#; looks heavy to me.

I've caught several in that size class, but its been a few years.