Thread: Visiting Delta Junction

Default Visiting Delta Junction

Hey guys, been lurking for a while now, mostly in the float hunting forums. But I came up here sooner than expected with my girlfriend to see her family. I guess there really aren't any hunting opportunities right now but what about fishing? I've read a few things on fishing silvers in the DCR. Only problem is I've never fished for salmon, and her family isn't big on fishing/hunting so ill have to try and acquire some tackle tomorrow. I plan on heading to the sporting goods store tomorrow but any advice is appreciated, thanks.

Try Cyclops 2 or 3 with silver. You will need to change it to a single hook.it is now Catch and release only.caught over 30 on Thursday. Fri 15,have fun
    Attached Images Attached Images

That's a great way to cut down on the spawning success!

Quote Originally Posted by Kalvinc View Post
    Hey guys, been lurking for a while now, mostly in the float hunting forums. But I came up here sooner than expected with my girlfriend to see her family. I guess there really aren't any hunting opportunities right now but what about fishing? I've read a few things on fishing silvers in the DCR. Only problem is I've never fished for salmon, and her family isn't big on fishing/hunting so ill have to try and acquire some tackle tomorrow. I plan on heading to the sporting goods store tomorrow but any advice is appreciated, thanks.
    There's some good grayling fishing out that way, and they're not hard to catch. The Delta Clearwater River is excellent and has some shore access. I'd advise against silvers; they're spawning now and you'll pull them off their redds. Sure' they'll strike, but why would you want to stress a fish you can't keep anyway?

This time of year you need to fish deeper for grayling. For spinning tackle, go with small spinners and spoons in gold, silver or blue. If you want to try flies, go with forage patterns or attractors. My recommendations are egg-sucking leeches in purple or black, or salmon fry patterns. You can fish these with spinning tackle if you like, but you'll need split shot for that. If you're fly fishing, go with a sinking or a sinking tip line.

Have fun!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Fast forward, 3 to 4 years we don't have any silvers! We must stop all commercial fishing. Pull all the nets look what they have done.

my lord didnt take long for the moral police to jump in, now I remember why I stopped posting over here.

Welcome back! How would you like to be pulled out of your bed when you are trying to spawn? I hate it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bsj425 View Post
    my lord didnt take long for the moral police to jump in, now I remember why I stopped posting over here.