Thread: D2 or D4 Espar?

Default D2 or D4 Espar?

So I scheduled Advance Diesel to have them install a D4 in a 28' Koffler. Aluminum boat, no insulation and will be used as a hunter transport/water taxi out of Whittier thru deer season and also early spring use.
    The guy who's going to do the install gets on the boat to take a look and says a D2 would be fine unless we were camping for days on the boat.
    What do you guys think?
    Like horsepower can't go wrong with more than you need?

He said out of the 10 or so he's installed only 1 was a d4.

Thanks!
    Jim

There's another thread on this subject, check it out

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...-for-28-footer

Dont know if its so or not....have heard they require less maintenance if they run on high more often.....if true, could make a good case for a D2. I am wondering the same thing for a 24' fiberglass boat.....
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

I have a D4 in my 26' Hewes and love it. It will heat up the cabin pretty quick and keep it that way even when the door is open while hunting or trolling in the winter. You can never have too much heat. I guess running on low a lot could soot it up, but I've never had an issue even when camping in the summer when the heat is just barely running. I'd get the D4....
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

Thanks guys; went with the D4. Didn't want the self imposed butt kicking that might've resulted in me tryin to go less when often more is best in these situations!
    Will post how it all goes.
    Jim

Good choice, you won't be disappointed. I installed the D4 on a 27'er, all aluminum and no insulation. The thing will cook you out of there in short order.
    BK

I think the D4 was a good choice, even if you don't need the full force of it in its daily use, if you ever have to spend the night due to weather you might enjoy the extra heat.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

D4=happy spouse. Travis installed D4 in our 27' alu boat and it is fantastic. The D4 heats the boat up quickly even with the kids going in an out a lot which is really nice. The extra oomph of the D4 is also a great thing when the gang is cold & wet. A D2, with half the output, would have been a big disappointment on our boat.

Jim,

We put a D4 in our 28' Koffler. We have the warm air ducted to the aisle, on the dash, and into the cuddy. The D4 runs pretty steady, so I don't think I'd like the smaller D2 in a cabin that size.

For what it's worth, I also insulated the ceiling. The insulation and new ceiling made a world of difference in helping to keep down the condensation on overnight trips.

Hi Dan, how'd ya insulate the ceiling? Contemplating that but really no time for that project as it needs to be ready to go as of this coming Monday morning; so glad for the D4. I did though get some expanded rubber floor matting from Home Depot and covered that with rubber backed carpet. Really quieted the boat down and made it much more a much more comfy interior.
    My first Koffler, installed trim tabs, radar, heat, rewired some stuff, kinda like it!

Here is a link to my thread on the ceiling project. It turned out better than I'd anticipated, and it continues to hold up well and look nice.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/showthread.php/106795-Ceiling-Material?highlight=ceiling

I also added two, 150-lumen LED dome lights to the cabin and a 500-Lumen LED deck light. The wiring runs under the center strip on the ceiling, so I can get at it (if needed) without tearing down the whole ceiling.

I like your idea for flooring! I might give that a go for next year. I bet it cuts down on the noise and helps hold in the heat, as well.

Dan tried to send a pm, box full.
    The floor carpet/matt was in theory a good idea except with the torrential downpouring of rain in Whittier I found 2 leaks in the boat that didn't show themselves under "normal" conditions so I pulled the carpet to spoiled one's garage to dry out and just now have the rubber floor matting in which is nice on the feet. Will fix leaks and put carpet back in when tropical sunny warm conditions resume.
    I like how your ceiling turned out.