Thread: Globalstar product review

Default Globalstar product review

How about a product review? if you are considering a globalstar or Spot satellite phone (they are the same) for use in AK, forget it, buy the Iridium. I have a full season now of trying to use the globalstar phone. Although their coverage map shows full coverage for AK that is false. You will wait up to thirty minutes for coverage, and then you can expect at least two to three dropped calls, which for my business is not viable, it would be even less so if there was an emergency.

On top of that they advertise monthly plans, but that is a lie, if you read the fine print (I, much to my chagrine, didn't) it is an annual plan, you cannot cancel it for the months that you will not use it without a $250 penalty. The webpage is specifically designed to make you think they are indeed month by month plans. Unfortunately, it wasn't just me but two friends that fell for the same bait and switch. I will pay the $250 chalk it up as an idiot tax, and then buy an Iridium (of which I have not heard any bad things). Globalstar's customer service sucks
    The winner isn't the person with the most gold when they die, but rather, the person with the most stories.

The global star sat phones suck up here in Alaska, but the Spot has worked very good for me without any failures. I have used my Spot for a quite a bit without failure but it will only send a preprogramed message. I bought a Iridium sat phone also and love it. It has saved me a lot of walking per say a couple of time. I will never recoup my money but it is worth the extra comfort knowing I have it.

You should look into the Inreach SE if you are just using the satphone occasionally. I was planning to buy an Iridium phone this summer but decided to try the SE after a friend recommended it. I'm happy with it overall.

I ended up using it this year and have no intention of buying a satphone now. About a 5th the yearly cost. I'd rather text that call in most cases now adays anyway. Wish it took AA's though... Fits MY needs great.

Quote Originally Posted by AK-HUNT View Post
    You should look into the Inreach SE if you are just using the satphone occasionally. I was planning to buy an Iridium phone this summer but decided to try the SE after a friend recommended it. I'm happy with it overall.

I ended up using it this year and have no intention of buying a satphone now. About a 5th the yearly cost. I'd rather text that call in most cases now adays anyway. Wish it took AA's though... Fits MY needs great.
    I agree. I got the inreach se and was very happy with it.

The Inreach SE sounds good but I have had my sat phone for a couple of years now, so I will be sticking with it until it dies or something happens. Where all have ya'll tried the Inreach SE? Thanks

Wholeheartedly agree with the limited functionality of Globalstar in Alaska. That is something everybody who considers using a satellite telephone in Alaska should be made aware of. I have mentioned it several times in the Outdoor Safety, Survival, and Emergency Care Forum, but maybe that forum doesn't get read so often. The new inReach SE, which works independently, seems to be an improvement over the old inReach that needed to be paired with either a smartphone or the DeLorme GPS. I have used the older inReach for more than a year now and am very happy with it. The only caveat being that if you really need to communicate with someone you will have no way of knowing whether your text or email message was actually received and read (your targeted party may be away from their computer or out of cell phone range) until you receive a text reply. If you need immediate communications an Iridium satellite telephone is still your best choice.

Quote Originally Posted by 450HUNTER View Post
    The Inreach SE sounds good but I have had my sat phone for a couple of years now, so I will be sticking with it until it dies or something happens. Where all have ya'll tried the Inreach SE? Thanks
    Ak pen, ak range, south-central. It uses iridium so like a satphone call but databurst so if reception is broken, should still get though.....no call to drop.....in theory.

Sending texts cost me 20 seconds of air time on my Iridium phone. Receiving texts is free. You don't need much air time on your service plan for that. I've carried an Iridium phone in my day pack for better than 10 years. I don't need it much but when I do? The cost seems insignificant. It's like paying an insurance premium. I hope to not need it but I appreciate having it. And even though texting isn't as simple as on an iPhone, I still use it. When it's time to call Kenai FSS for weather reports enroute? Voice capability is priceless.

I bought an Iridium Axcesspoint for a remote wifi hotspot. It's slow but it works. Another Iridium advantage.