Thread: Moving to Sitka. What kind of vehicles do I want for hunting?

Default Moving to Sitka. What kind of vehicles do I want for hunting?

Well I just found out that I will finally be moving back to Alaska, more specifically Sitka. I have never been to Sitka so I thought I would ask some general questions about what form of transportation will benefit me for hunting and trapping. I have a Quad and a snow machine, but it looks like I will want a boat too. I don't have the money or room for all 3, so my question is, what will and will-not serve me well for getting to hunting/trapping locations, or just plain getting away from people? Will the snow machine be any use at all in this area? Is there a good, usable trail system for motorized vehicles, or does the trails see a bunch of hunting pressure?

I'm not looking to ride or drive for fun, just to get where I want to be. Fishing would be an added bonus to a boat but I'm mostly looking to hunt at this point.

Thanks for your time, I cant wait to be back in AK again.

A boat. For driving on the road, a DUKW.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

#1 Boat
    #2 Boat
    #3 Boat
    #4 Quad that fits in your boat
    There is no trail system but there are quite a few remote road systems you can ride a quad on. You need to transport your quad with a boat.
    You won't use your snow machine for hunting, only place to ride is Harbor Mountain behind town which is a play area for the locals. You need a boat more than anything else.

I would say bigger boat and a tow behind boat. For sure get with BigHorse on the forum here,he has done it all.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

All you really need is good legs and a boat. A four wheeler is nice for a few areas but not very many. Basically if you have one and its paid for great, but if you need to liquidate to get a boat - get a boat...

Thanks guys! I think that sums it up for me. Looks like I'm in the market for a boat. I'll direct me questions about what kind of boat to the power boating forum. I appreciate it.

Shane, looks like you asked the right question and you got just the right people to steer you right. good luck with the move and welcome back.

It used to be boat and trail bike for logging roads on Kruzof. I suppose that is not allowed anymore, however. Different Forest Service than in the '70s.

At any one time I've got five different varieties if watercraft. I just bought my first wheeler and deposited it at a remote site today. I used a boat to get it there. Learn about water safety, communications, and small engine repair if you haven't already. Sell your wheeler and snowmobile and get a good skiff and inflatable. Enjoy Sitka!

Bighorse is 18' about the best size there with your more open water?
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I run a 19'. I'd say a well designed 20-22 would be just right for serious adventure with a friend or two and a pile of gear. Of course, deep pockets, can do whatever they want. Normal folks have to consider efficiency and maintance costs.