Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Is a 135 certificate required?

  1. #1

    Default Is a 135 certificate required?

    I figured someone here would know, as a quick google search only turned up proposed rule making from 1998.

    I am looking down the road a couple of years to possibly become part owner in a remote fishing lodge. The property currently relies on air taxi service to shuttle clients. I know of one other lodge not too far away that owns and operates a 206 to shuttle clients. I can't seem to find conclusive information as to if that particular aircraft was on a 135 certificate. At one time I know it was, but I don't believe it is now.

    I would like to know if current regulation required an owner, or part owner of a lodge to operate an aircraft to shuttle clients requires a 135 certificate. Any direction to the appropriate regs would be helpful too!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2011


    Not if the flights are only a part of the lodge's service to only its own clients. Grub runs for the lodge only are okay, and all passenger flights MUST BE lodge guests, otherwise a Part 135 certificate is required. Many guides operate in this fashion, too, but flight costs must be built into the guide's fee structure. I suspect that Mr. Pid or Float Pilot can give you the appropriate FAR and phraseology.

  3. #3
    Member Float Pilot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Kachemak Bay Alaska


    If the flights are incidental to all the other activities, the 135 ticket is not currently required.
    The clients pay a (huge) lump sum to the lodge. That covers their stay and anything they want to do.

    If they want to go out in a boat, they go. If they want bear protection while hiking , you go along... If they want to try some lakes that are further away, you offer them a free plane ride, since you are guiding them anyway..., just like you would to your best old Army buddy who is visiting. There are no additional costs for flights, boat-rides, fly tying instruction, pulling hooks out of their ears or telling BS stories around the bar at night. In short they are not buying flight time, they are buying a fishing experience. The lodge aircraft become a kind of courtesy car.

    The big problem is that some folks have tried to bend this situation to do true air taxi work. So of course the FAA gets their skivvies in a twist.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2007


    Most Alaska flyout lodges who own their own planes operate under FARs part 91. They are "grandfathered in" (Alaska only) to operate beyond the 25 mile limit imposed on tour operators regulated by part 91. Lodges who don't own their own airplanes, but instead rely on an air taxi service to deliver passengers to the lodge, pay the air taxi operator charter fees or seat fares...whatever their respective agreements may be. But the air taxi operator operates under part 135 regardless of whether the lodge pays or the passenger pays for transport to the lodge. There were plans afoot a few years back to try to regulate flyout lodges and guides under part 135. This didn't happen. Take a look at:

  5. #5


    Good information.. Thanks gents..


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts