Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 92 Indy Lite GT trapping sled?

Default 92 Indy Lite GT trapping sled?

Any thoughts on how this sled will perform out on the line?

I've had an '88 Indy Lite GT short track that I use on my line for 20 years now. It works great, it is light weight, easy to work on and pulls a reasonable load. It is probably not subject to the extreme cold temps as your sled will be but down to -25 it has worked just fine.

They run well and are easy to work on, but in my opinion are not built as tough as the other "indies" of their time. The cowlings are weak and the bumper is negligible. They were definitely an entry level machine, but they work just fine.

As long as we're on the subject, if a guy were to look for a "beater sled" for a trapline, do you all have any advice on what brands/models to look for or to avoid?

Quote Originally Posted by BearMountain View Post
    As long as we're on the subject, if a guy were to look for a "beater sled" for a trapline, do you all have any advice on what brands/models to look for or to avoid?
    Ha ha... brand wars!
    You're probably going to hear Skidoo Tundra or Yamaha Bravo. But as you see above, The Indy Lite works fine too. It's just wider. The Bravos were bullet proof and simple as can be.
    And then there is the Elan...
    I'm not a trapper, but if I was doing hundreds of miles on a sled in the worst of conditions, I'd be looking for the lowest tech, most dependable sled I could find.

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    Ha ha... brand wars!
    You're probably going to hear Skidoo Tundra or Yamaha Bravo. But as you see above, The Indy Lite works fine too. It's just wider. The Bravos were bullet proof and simple as can be.
    And then there is the Elan...
    I'm not a trapper, but if I was doing hundreds of miles on a sled in the worst of conditions, I'd be looking for the lowest tech, most dependable sled I could find.
    I revived a '96 indy lite gt last year for my wife and my brush beating sled, works great, previous owner took off the rack and bolted down a rubbermade box that holds lots of stuff. I bolted a chainsaw sheath to that and it works well. I'm having some trouble with mine bogging down but when its running good its great for squeezing through brush since its got a beat to crap cowling anyhow and the bumper is already broken! Its light enough to pick up out of a hole and its got enough track to get around ok. Mine has a set of skis from an RMK that seem to float a little better and a retrofit 1" paddle track instead of a bar track.

I think an arcticcat super jag is one of the best out there. They are light, narrow with a 156 inch track and that 440 Suzuki motor will run forever, IMO they are twice or more durable than a tundra of its time, and is so simple to maintain/work on.

Quote Originally Posted by DanielApplin View Post
    I think an arcticcat super jag is one of the best out there. They are light, narrow with a 156 inch track and that 440 Suzuki motor will run forever, IMO they are twice or more durable than a tundra of its time, and is so simple to maintain/work on.
    I've never heard of one but it sounds interesting, I rebuilt a '94 artic cat puma last winter and it was very easy to work on!

No machine is bullet proof and no one machine will do everything so you have to ask yourself will it suit your needs in the area you will be trapping. I run bravos because they are perfect for my needs but for someone else a widetrack may be a better choice, if it fits your needs and that is what you got then roll with it...............
    I once held the yardstick of anothers perfection, I threw it down and carved my own................

Quote Originally Posted by DanielApplin View Post
    And people tell me the AC Bearcat 340 is a great machine too. I have a '96 440 Jag that keeps going and going and going... :-) Very light and maneuverable.

Talking Thanks!

Great thread - thanks guys! Everybody wants a Tundra - it's nice to see what is working for other guys. I trapped off a 95 ZR580 for a couple years. Not ideal by any means, but like somebody mentioned, you make do with what you've got (our whole culture could use a lesson in that). Looking for a bit more of a workhorse now, good to see some options, and actually had been wondering myself about an Indy. The one I rode a few years back was really light and owner had never had any mechanical trouble with it.

FF

I don't think you could go wrong with a GT model. You may want to beef it up a little. They are good, simple machines.

Quote Originally Posted by AKFF View Post
    Great thread - thanks guys! Everybody wants a Tundra - it's nice to see what is working for other guys. I trapped off a 95 ZR580 for a couple years. Not ideal by any means, but like somebody mentioned, you make do with what you've got (our whole culture could use a lesson in that). Looking for a bit more of a workhorse now, good to see some options, and actually had been wondering myself about an Indy. The one I rode a few years back was really light and owner had never had any mechanical trouble with it.

FF
    I have a Tundra. It likes to shake itself to death. I hear they are prone to bad seals on the chain case. I believe a Bravo to be a better machine, but it also will shake and rattle itself to pieces. Just have to keep after it.

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    I don't think you could go wrong with a GT model. You may want to beef it up a little. They are good, simple machines.
    The running boards could use some stiffening if an adult is going to die one a lot for sure!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Great thread to have under trapping and calling. I just got a 2010 Tundra LT. Courious about opinions on this sled aswell and more comments on the formentioned sleds. Also do most people go out alone. I'm having trouble finding partners to do some calling and trapping. Is that just stupid to think I can do it alone or should I prepare well and give it a shot?

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    I revived a '96 indy lite gt last year for my wife and my brush beating sled, works great
    I was given a '96 Indy Lite GT. Low mile machine ( less than 2K), but the engine is giving me fits.
    One cylinder or the other fouls constantly. Any ideas before I just pull the engine and rebuild it?

Quote Originally Posted by chickenminer View Post
    I was given a '96 Indy Lite GT. Low mile machine ( less than 2K), but the engine is giving me fits.
    One cylinder or the other fouls constantly. Any ideas before I just pull the engine and rebuild it?
    First thing I do with a machine of that vintage is pull the carbs off, check the carb boots or just replace them. Take the carbs apart and clean all passages and all the jets. Reset the air screws to the factory settings so you know where your starting from.

Quote Originally Posted by MNnowAK View Post
    Great thread to have under trapping and calling. I just got a 2010 Tundra LT. Courious about opinions on this sled aswell and more comments on the formentioned sleds. Also do most people go out alone. I'm having trouble finding partners to do some calling and trapping. Is that just stupid to think I can do it alone or should I prepare well and give it a shot?
    I have a 2008 Tundra and I love that machine. That is the one my wife rides now as I bought a 2011 Expedition Sport 600ACE for myself.
    I wouldn't hesitate to ride any model Tundra.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

I had a 2008 tundra and absolutely hated it so I went back to the Bravos, personally none of the new machines would work for me. I run my line alone as do most people I know but I will occasionally run with my uncle because he is old and can use the help..........
    I once held the yardstick of anothers perfection, I threw it down and carved my own................

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    First thing I do with a machine of that vintage is pull the carbs off, check the carb boots or just replace them. Take the carbs apart and clean all passages and all the jets. Reset the air screws to the factory settings so you know where your starting from.
    Thanks... I did pull the carbs off, completely dismantle them and cleaned them good.
    The boots looked okay but thats a thought, I'll get new ones and replace, then
    try it out again. If that doesn't solve it I guess next is pull the engine and replace
    the crank seals.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast