Thread: 1992 Indy Lite GT MPG??

Default 1992 Indy Lite GT MPG??

So I recently picked up a 92 Indy Lite GT and i cant find anywhere online anything about what kind of gas mileage this machine gets. Wondering if anyone has any experience with this machine. Also i'm planning on going one tooth smaller on my drivers to get a little bit more low end power and to fit my 1.5 paddle track and i was wondering how gearing down will effect my gas mileage as well. Thanks.

Buckwild

I have a stock '96 Indy Lite GT with the 340 and I get 16 mpg.

You are going about it all wrong and expensively. Just buy a smaller drive gear or larger lower driven. MUCH easier, and MUCH less expensive, unless of course you are going to the smaller sprockets to get more space in the tunnel for the taller track. If you go gears go to the local Pol shop and have them look up the drive combo's for the correct pitch in the service manual to see if they'll work, some do, some don't.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

yea I dont think the 1.5" lugs will fit with the stock 9T drivers..they were only 25 bucks a piece so not too spendy..its a 2.52 pitch

Won't fit. You are going to need 8 tooths and that's tight. My kids get about 12-15mpg on their Indy Lights, but the tanks are small so the range is less than most sleds. Full throttle in the powder with a 1.5 track yields less than 8 mpg on the same sled.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

yep if you read down more as ive already stated i did get the 8T drivers if it dosn't fit i'll just cut the lugs down to 1.25 which i would prefer anyway i just couldnt find a track that size

Well i got the new track on had to cut the lugs down .25 of an inch because i could not get the inside lugs over the drivers enough to slide my drive shaft back into the chain case once i cut them down though i was able to get my drive shaft in looks like there is about .5 to .75 of an inch clearance betweeen the track and the belly pan should be plenty..glad that project is over with no if this weather would ever cool off and start snowing i could take it out for a spin!

You could have bought the 7tooth, but I think you'll be able to get around pretty well with that light of a machine and the track you have on it. You will find it a fun little machine
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Quote Originally Posted by Buckwild View Post
    Well i got the new track on had to cut the lugs down .25 of an inch because i could not get the inside lugs over the drivers enough to slide my drive shaft back into the chain case once i cut them down though i was able to get my drive shaft in looks like there is about .5 to .75 of an inch clearance betweeen the track and the belly pan should be plenty..glad that project is over with no if this weather would ever cool off and start snowing i could take it out for a spin!
    The trick is to pull the chaincase off, then install axle and track and finesse chaincase on to axle. Also, the 92 uses a different belt than other years, don't ask me why. I went to an 1106 that the other years use and it is a better fit.