Thread: Get the funky mildew smell out of waders?

Default Get the funky mildew smell out of waders?

Hey does anyone have a product that will get rid of a mildewy smell from waders? I am careful to turn my waders inside out after fishing, but the funky smell has materialized. I looked online and found "Sink the Stink Wetsuit/Dry Suit Deodorizer." Has anyone used this product and where would you find it in Anchorage or the valley? Any other home-made remedies?

REI sells a product called Mirazyme that is supposed to kill the mildew odor in waders, etc. They keep it near the kayaking, wetbags and stuff.

Might smell kinda girly, but how about Febreze?
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Gore tex waders hand wash pretty easily in the bathtub with regular laundry detergent. I have no idea what to do with neoprene.

just a guess. how about baking soda when they are not being used for a while???

I turn mine inside out and wash my neoprene waders in the wash machine.I also use a heavy amount of downy in the rinse cycle.Then I hang them to dry outside.Rusty

Just put a dead minnow in them...."Grumpy Old Men" style.

wear em a few times you'll get used to it. Now how does one get the jellyfish smell out of a raincoat?
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

thanks all -- the mildew smell transfers to my cloths and it is not a smell that one can get use to. I have no problem smelling like fish, but the mildew smell hangs in the air. The smell my be an effective deterrent for combat fishing and clearing out people when their eyes start to water and gag reflex triggers in. I am not sure about putting them in the washing machine. I will try the bathtub wash with Ivory dish soap.

Default Musty smell

Try cat litter. It works to get smells out of other things.

Whatever you do, make sure that it not only gets out the odor but also KILLS the mildew. Otherwise, you'll soon have stinky waders again. The REI stuff I mentioned above will solve the problem. It's meant for wet suits/dry suits and is formulated just for this exact problem.

Update (a little over due) -- I washed the waders in the tub, but this was only marginally successful in that the smell was still present although faint. I washed the waders in the washing machine, turned inside out and let dry. This worked. However, once putting the belt back on I realized the smell was in the canvas belt. Washed the belt in soapy water in the sink and got rid of the smell. I suppose it was a lot of work for a smelly belt.