Thread: Guided and Unguided Halibut in the Same Day

Default Guided and Unguided Halibut in the Same Day

I am planning a trip to SE Alaska next year and will have both guided and unguided fishing days. I am aware of the halibut slot regulations and one fish limit while fishing with a guide and the two fish without size limits when fishing unguided. However I cannot find any information regarding if I catch a slot limit fish with a guide, can I subsequently fish on my own the same day and keep a fish?

that's tricky, and I honestly don't think there is a reg (i couldn't find it either) dealing with it. But, that wouldn't stop them from getting you in hot water though. I'd say that once you are logged in that logbook as a "charter angler", that's what you are for the day, and your daily possession limit is such. Remember, it's a federal regulation, not a state one. http://alaskafisheries.noaa.gov/sust...tsheet2013.pdf

Make some calls though. You never know.

I have looked through 50CFR300 and found nothing to help. Tried to call NOAA but they are shut down.

i would agree with 270ti.....tricky at best....and on the "gray, fuzzy" side of Reg. interpretation, IMHO.

Were it me? I would fish guided one day and unguided on a different day. You could always fish for a different species after your charter like rockfish and salmon. Or make the most of the guided and do it all.

And if you REALLY just had to do both in the same day.....go unguided in the morning and a half day charter in the afternoon.....but even that sounds like you're going after two limits in the same fishing day and there's the "fuzzy" rub.

Not worth it IMO and it ends up on your conscience.... if not out of your wallet. No offense intended ....just sayin'

Ask waterfall lodge.

Cool

Well, there's the law and there's the spirit of the law.

The spirit of the law, as applied to guided or non-guided anglers, is halibut conservation.

Seems to me that to want to fish both guided and non-guided in the same day is an attempt to circumvent the spirit of the law.

Tough call . . .

there will be a few people that will coment on this as well as me , you go from a guided trip to a unguided trip , do not take more than one on the guided trip then you can get one on the unguided, but not the other "" way """ you have never exceded your limint for the day , at any one time , don't know about the length , there might be something with that , but I don't see you exceding your limit at any one time in that day ,
    the intent with the law is to let the big ones go for the com. can get them an you get the small ones people will not like what I say but it is the truth as I see it SID

Valid points on both ends, once on that logbook indeed you have established what kind of angler you are that day. That said, I would go on the charter first, otherwise if you got one or two while unguided fishing before a charter, you would be effectively tagged out for the day.

Daily limits cannot be combined, in waters, status etc.

I'd call the ADFG area managers in SE. Although it's a federal reg, they often field these sorts of questions and can at least direct you in the right direction......government shutdown depending. Calling NOAA straight off will likely get you a serious runaround anyway.

I agree with Sid.
    Daily bag limit, Halibut = TWO
    regardless of transportation employed.

The problem with calling the ADFG is that the Fed LE guys won't care one bit what the ADFG told you, or what the opinions on a forum are.

Think about it this way.. Would it be legal for a lodge to send it's clients out on a charter, and have them come back in the afternoon, and then let them take a rental boat out after dinner to the exact same spot to catch there other halibut, which could be any size? Again, tough call. Wouldn't be a bad business model. (grin)

You've got time. After the shutdown, call NOAA law enforcement in Sitka or Ketchikan. http://alaskafisheries.noaa.gov/contactinfo.htm

In fact, I'm pretty sure the LE guys are working right now. Call them.

that is how the law reads [ that is how I see if ] do the guided trip then on your own, lets face it the amount of people doing this is so small , I don't think the fish cops will not rewrite the laws, , an why can't the lodges do it they rent boats , an realy all you have to do give the sport where the fish are an they can do the rest, SID

Quote Originally Posted by 270ti View Post
    The problem with calling the ADFG is that the Fed LE guys won't care one bit what the ADFG told you, or what the opinions on a forum are.

Think about it this way.. Would it be legal for a lodge to send it's clients out on a charter, and have them come back in the afternoon, and then let them take a rental boat out after dinner to the exact same spot to catch there other halibut, which could be any size? Again, tough call. Wouldn't be a bad business model. (grin)

You've got time. After the shutdown, call NOAA law enforcement in Sitka or Ketchikan. http://alaskafisheries.noaa.gov/contactinfo.htm

In fact, I'm pretty sure the LE guys are working right now. Call them.
    Valid, but it's better than asking us armchair troopers what we think.