Thread: 17 hmr

Default 17 hmr

whats everyones thought on using the 17 hmr as a secondary gun for predator hunting fox and lynx. my primary is a .223

It's about the best fox round ever made. Might be a little light for bigger predators but I have found it extremely effective on fox. Bang flops with very little pelt damage.

Should work just fine, not much room for error shot wise, but most .17s seem to be pretty darn accurate anyhow. I killed my lynx with a .223 shooting my pet fur load and had a quarter sized exit.

I dispatched one of my lynx last winter with my .17 at about 10 yards, right in the forehead. I was pleasantly surprised to find no exit hole, and only a very very small entry hole.
    Ryan from Wasilla

I love my .17 but you have to know the limitations. It is a great back up or primary predator rifle as long as you are in its effective range.
    Ignorance is not Bliss, it's insanity

I've had my 17 splash on hard bone....a cat head in particular. You've got one shot with the 17, and that's chest period! Anything else comes with major risks!

I also wouldn't consider it a bang flop gun Like Josh is stating...Sorry brother but every critter I've tagged with mine has not flopped lol. Hope all is well in anchortown, holler when you're up this way!

Honestly if it were me I'd buy a 17 rem and find some 30gr heads IF you can find any reloading components to begin with! If you want a 17 caliber I think the rem fits this nich nicely much better than the HMR over all atleast for an Alaskan. It is one helluva grouse gun and does do well on cats and fox and can handle a yote. But with extreme limitations!

Bullet selection with the hmr and than shot selection is key to reducing issues as much as possible! I did dump a nice yote with mine a little farther than I thought. As much as I use mine and go to for cat calling, if someone wanted a specific fur rifle, I wouldn't put this even as a backup!

I've also had misfire issues in the cold with mine. I need to send it back to Savage (its the FVSS), but for whatever reason,short of being lazy haven't.

17 rem is a completely different rifle all together!

Grateful I picked up the PPC and enough hardware to load for awhile before this crap hit. I was considering a 22ppc and I believe their is a 17ppc, or at least it was extremely close to one, same shoulder config.

The 17 hornet is a neat round too.

I had excellent results on fox with 17gr hornady load. Never shot one past 100 yards but all chest shot, and never had to chase one. The 20gr xtp load should be even better still for tougher critters.

I've shot more with the 22 mag but with a bunch more pelt damage. The hmr left almost no damage at all.

Fox are such light fragile little guys they tend to pop like a balloon. The 22hornet is a good fur round too.

That's what I'm thinking also with the 20gr's Josh. Kind of odd they have game points, jhps, xtps, and fmjs in the 20. I did pick up the 20gr fmjs and have a bunch of the jhps and xtps to tinker with. IF I can keep the blasted thing firing lol. My understanding was there was no difference between the 4 rounds though I find that highly unlikely. They're supposedly all made by the same factory and packaged according to seller.

The 17 rem's been around for 40 years now. And for some reason it hasn't caught on like the HMR did. I think a centerfire rifle in this kind of cold is the only way to go! Not to mention it has more pills and you can actually reload the blasted thing! We had issues with regular 22 longs back home chasing tree rats when it used to get 'cold' by mn standards. The cold days are long gone but the miss fires are not. I guess I shouldn't have been shocked to get them in the HMR, but I will say its frustrating as heck! cost me a cat last winter before I put it up and pulled out the ppc

I've had bad luck with the HMR too. Fox hits that should have been floppers that were knocked down and ran off. Not so with the K-Hornet. Before I moved to ID and living on Maryland's Eastern Shore, we had a real problem with mange and rabies in the small game population and as a result we killed 40-50 fox and lots of skunk and coons and I thought the HMR would be the answer...not so and I went back to the K-Hornet and a CZ .22 mag. We weren't concerned about pelts, but the HMR just did not do the job for me. YMMV.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

I love my 17HMR. I shoot a ruger m77 in .17 hmr and its my most accurate rifle by far. I've never had any issues with misfires, even at -35 up here in Fairbanks. i smacked a fox with mine in the shoulder at 90 yards last spring and it dropped it like someone hit it between the eyeballs with a hammer. i love shooting mine, but it does have limitations. 90 yard flops arent very often and i know i was lucky to do that to my fox, but within the 60 yard mark, it should drop most anything in its tracks.