Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 345

Thread: No Hunting or Fishing on YOUR land until the Gvnmt reopens....

  1. #1
    New member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    5,416

    Default No Hunting or Fishing on YOUR land until the Gvnmt reopens....

    Somebody tell me this isn't true...

    http://www.doi.gov/shutdown/fy2014/u...Fact-Sheet.pdf

    "• All activities will be canceled on federal lands and public buildings until the government
    reopens. This includes hunting and fishing activities on public lands."

    http://www.doi.gov/shutdown/index.cfm
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again

  2. #2
    Member Milo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,472

    Default

    Guess I'll get to stand in front of a judge then...
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.

  3. #3
    Member shimano 33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    529

    Default

    wow.. thanks for the heads up..

  4. #4
    Member shimano 33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    529

    Default

    Wonder how they would enforce if all park officials are furloughed?

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    NorthWest Alaska
    Posts
    3,636

    Default

    Cool! Now, what?
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

    "Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

  6. #6
    New member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    5,416

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by strangerinastrangeland View Post
    Cool! Now, what?

    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again

  7. #7
    Member Erik in AK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    2,008

    Default

    My dad and I had a drift boat charter booked for Friday (tomorrow) on the middle Kenai. Had.
    It was cancelled by the outfitter. Using the river (read refuge) & take outs would be a violation of their permit. If I had my own boat I would be fishing and inviting the Feds to kiss my dingle berries. But I don't, so I'm not.

    Plan B is beads and flesh flies at the Russian. Walking right on in.
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

  8. #8
    Member SkinnyD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    20B
    Posts
    1,379

    Default

    According to the FAQ pages, BLM lands are open to hunting but FWS lands are not. Typical.
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.


  9. #9
    Member AlaskaHippie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Beaver Fork
    Posts
    3,853

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Erik in AK View Post
    My dad and I had a drift boat charter booked for Friday (tomorrow) on the middle Kenai. Had.
    It was cancelled by the outfitter. Using the river (read refuge) & take outs would be a violation of their permit. If I had my own boat I would be fishing and inviting the Feds to kiss my dingle berries. But I don't, so I'm not.

    Plan B is beads and flesh flies at the Russian. Walking right on in.

    How about Plan C, Erik? A bunch of us have boats and float the Kenai a bunch....

    ......Sounds like a great opportunity for a group float......

    Just sayin'.

    And correct me if I am wrong, but if State Land ends at the high water mark, and last years flood went PAST the gate at Jim's Landing....Well, then aren't the Feds gating off State Land accessing State Waters?



    -Grin-
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

  10. #10
    Member akshootnscoot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Anchorage, AK
    Posts
    314

    Default

    The WWII vets ignored the closure, and it worked out for them. Just group up and carry on!

  11. #11
    Member SLA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    120

    Default

    I just got notice from my outfitter about this, I leave tomorrow for ANC then Sunday on to Kodiak, Monday out to camp, and hike up tues, I am not real happy about this, was told any hunters in the refuge can finish but no trespass until shutdown is resolved.
    Hunting rg480.

  12. #12
    Member SLA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    120

    Default

    Outfitter was told by the director of the kodiak refuge (which is 2/3 of the island) that no commercial activities can take place, so my question is would you as a resident still go in on your own? Or upon checking your goat in would you end up getting some sort of fine for trespass or other?
    what a mess, so your in camp but you can't fish, hunt ducks, or go up the mountain after goats. Thanks.

  13. #13
    New member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    5,416

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SLA View Post
    I just got notice from my outfitter about this, I leave tomorrow for ANC then Sunday on to Kodiak, Monday out to camp, and hike up tues, I am not real happy about this, was told any hunters in the refuge can finish but no trespass until shutdown is resolved.
    Hunting rg480.
    This is the crazy part. The land does not belong to a Government Agency or bureaucrat. It belongs to you. How can you trespass on to your won land? Aren't' these agencies offices typically closed on weekends and holidays? I guess it's okay to "trespass" then but not now? This is government gone wild.

    What about Federal Subsistence hunters?
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again

  14. #14

    Default

    This is just pure politics, designed to make you think that you "need" the government for your daily life. The reality is that we don't "need" a huge government, and most of the gov is non-essential anyways!


    Get angry! You are getting screwed, so some gov workers, who are getting a paid vacation, can try to prove how valuable they are.

  15. #15
    Member SLA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    120

    Default

    The talk on the news this a.m. Is this could go on for several more weeks

  16. #16

    Default

    Reading the closure it says that 150 million acres of land in Alaska is affected by this. Does anyone know where I can find a map of this land so when I'm out hunting this weekend I stay off of it?

  17. #17

    Default

    I'm pretty sure BLM lands are open. The developed facilities are closed however, this is off there shutdown page. WWW.doi.gov/shutdown/fy2014/upload/BLM-FAQ.pdf.

    Will I be able to visit BLM-managed public lands?

    All recreation facilities, including campgrounds, boat ramps etc., will be closed. If it is a non- developed recreational destination with no controlled access, you may visit. However, there will be no services and there will no non-emergency services available.

    Looks like NPS and Refuges are closed however. Parks don't want you in even when they are open! I know its popular to bash all forms government these days but remember its the people we elected who forced this shutdown based on political gains from both sides, not the peons who work for them. Would be kinda neat if we where a smaller state and sportsmen could band together somewhere and access some of our "closed" lands to make a point.

  18. #18
    Member broncoformudv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Posts
    4,670

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nathan4300 View Post
    Reading the closure it says that 150 million acres of land in Alaska is affected by this. Does anyone know where I can find a map of this land so when I'm out hunting this weekend I stay off of it?
    You are actually worried about trespassing on your own property?

  19. #19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SLA View Post
    Outfitter was told by the director of the kodiak refuge (which is 2/3 of the island) that no commercial activities can take place, so my question is would you as a resident still go in on your own? Or upon checking your goat in would you end up getting some sort of fine for trespass or other?
    what a mess, so your in camp but you can't fish, hunt ducks, or go up the mountain after goats. Thanks.
    I'm wondering about this too, hiking and fishing in an area that i've never seen enforcement you probably wouldn't get harassed, but if you shot a bear and had to seal it would you get in trouble?

  20. #20
    Member SLA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    120

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Barbo View Post
    I'm wondering about this too, hiking and fishing in an area that i've never seen enforcement you probably wouldn't get harassed, but if you shot a bear and had to seal it would you get in trouble?
    Talked with game refuge manager and Andrews air, all "commercial operations" are closed, you can fly into a saltwater landing area, you can fish saltwater, but no charter fishing, no guided hunts. They are working to get some state level change made, but don't see it happening today.

Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •