Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Alpacka or pr49 raft for a caribou hunt

Default Alpacka or pr49 raft for a caribou hunt

Can someone please give me some true testimony to these rafts. ive watched some youtube videos, u theres my issue with the info out there. first the alpacka rafts have some cool white water videos but none show any of these with a decent load capacity. Makes me wonder if these can handle any weight at all. The pr49 has no videos with it taking on any whitwater what so ever, just a few videos with it loaded down on calm water. Does anyone have any good pictures of these rafts really handling anything serious with weight and whitewater. They say class III capable but havnt seen neither taking class III with any weight. I need something packable that can at least handle a caribou.

I don't own either raft, but I've been trying to make this same decision about which one to get and just did a lot of research on this forum and elsewhere. From what I've read, it seems the Alpackas really aren't big enough for a caribou hunt -- their absolute max is about 1 guy + gear + boned-out sheep, and even then the whitewater performance isn't great under such a heavy load. I haven't seen any whitewater videos for the PR-49 either, but there are some for its predecessor the "Big Rig," and the PR-49 is a stronger boat of about the same size, so it should be fine. I'm planning to get a PR-49 when the time comes.
    Jason
    http://www.troutnut.com -- Fly fishing photos & insect hatch encyclopedia.
    http://www.daltoncorridormap.com -- Exact 5-mile Haul Road corridor boundary for GPS & Google Earth

Alpacka rafts are not designed for the sort of load a hunt brings. They are adventure travel boats, incredibly light, impressive, but not a hunting platform. In my opinion. I am not sure the PR49 really is big enough to be something I would consider adequate either...but it is closer. I might be able to talk myself into a hunt trip out of that...but probably not. Still a little too small...especially if you are talking about loading it down and then running whitewater. Again...in my opinion. Good luck. Float safe.
    14 Days to Alaska
    Also available on Kindle and Nook

Quote Originally Posted by Troy Hamon View Post
    Alpacka rafts are not designed for the sort of load a hunt brings. They are adventure travel boats, incredibly light, impressive, but not a hunting platform. In my opinion. I am not sure the PR49 really is big enough to be something I would consider adequate either...but it is closer. I might be able to talk myself into a hunt trip out of that...but probably not. Still a little too small...especially if you are talking about loading it down and then running whitewater. Again...in my opinion. Good luck. Float safe.
    Exactly, horses for courses as they say. For what it's designed for, the Alpackas exel. They work for sheep hunts, going light. An unrigged Explorer, stretched, may work ok for a caribou hunt, but once a raft gets big enough for a "traditional" sort of meat hunt, it's not going to be a pack raft.
    Never wrestle with a pig.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

the evolution of this(well underway) will be interesting. I think in the end, if you are trying to haul a large load out over rocks, and shallow water, you need a pretty serious raft. The 5-6 pound versions are under gunned for the job..the 10-15 pound versions will have their issues..

actively looking at the PR-49.. wonder if Larry might offer a group buy price for forum members..??

From owning both, PR49 for any sort of medium to big game hunt. Hands down.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Funny thought?? Why is it so important that your craft weights less than your rifle and ammo? Hell my size 13 boots come close, with tent and sleeping gear. Our indigenous people, here and all over the world made it work for a long-long time with what they had?? Spears,ect.
    Too many wimps in this new "hunting world"-- MAN UP-- and quit looking at so many catalogs!!
    Again just my thoughts-
    Goo

Quote Originally Posted by goeaux View Post
    Funny thought?? Why is it so important that your craft weights less than your rifle and ammo? Hell my size 13 boots come close, with tent and sleeping gear. Our indigenous people, here and all over the world made it work for a long-long time with what they had?? Spears,ect.
    Too many wimps in this new "hunting world"-- MAN UP-- and quit looking at so many catalogs!!
    Again just my thoughts-
    Goo
    I get the same sorts of thoughts firing though my synapses when I look at yet another post on "best Sheep hunting boots" or "lightest tent", "lightest Sheep hunting rifle". I know guys in their 60's still sheep hunting with 8lb, wood stocked -06s strapped to their old Kelty ex. frame packs.
    It's easy to get caught up in latest, lightest, best gear craze. I'm guilty of it myself on occasion.
    The Internet, for better or worse, has made it way to easy to fall victim to uber consumer tendencies.
    Never wrestle with a pig.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

I reckon the difference in this case is that the PR-49 was introduced with 12+ months of R&D with proven aspects applicable to hunting here in Alaska, rather than a rant full of caps locked catch words.

Love or hate the lightweight realm, but it just plain works. Modern materials dictate that.

Hard to compare when some have been tested in the field, while others only on paper.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Quote Originally Posted by goeaux View Post
    Again just my thoughts-
    Goo
    Really, in many hunts the weight saving may allow a person to bring other things they value more than just excess weight. If you enjoy carring empty pounds with you go for it, I think most would rather leave the dead weight or substitute it for a usefull item. Bt hey maybe you got it figured out.

PR-49.. if anyone has been thinking about this raft, now might be a good time. I just talked to Larry, and with the PFD sale, and if we can get a group buy(three or more) the cost would be very attractive..$1150.00 plus shipping.. I want one.. need two more buyers to get that price..

email me..

Quote Originally Posted by anchorrivercrowds View Post
    PR-49.. if anyone has been thinking about this raft, now might be a good time. I just talked to Larry, and with the PFD sale, and if we can get a group buy(three or more) the cost would be very attractive..$1150.00 plus shipping.. I want one.. need two more buyers to get that price..

email me..
    I want one just need a few weeks and ill have the doe

im in on the group buy if can get enough people, otherwise ill buy it with the PFD sale

going to have to back out on this one for a few weeks. Been looking at some other options, but Ill let you know when I decide.

Quote Originally Posted by fuman View Post
    im in on the group buy if can get enough people, otherwise ill buy it with the PFD sale
    I'm in on the group buy as well.

I bought one on sale from Larry in person just before you guys got the group buy idea started. Very nice boat! I took it out on the upper Chena yesterday and posted a first-impressions review on my website. Can't wait to play with it more next summer.
    Jason
    http://www.troutnut.com -- Fly fishing photos & insect hatch encyclopedia.
    http://www.daltoncorridormap.com -- Exact 5-mile Haul Road corridor boundary for GPS & Google Earth

I'm in on the group buy.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

I'm probably in as well. Very tempted, at least...

Wife wanted one, after this trip.

"I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast