Thread: scope Mount for ruger alaskan 3"

Cool scope Mount for ruger alaskan 3"

First of all, please don't laugh at, immediately criticize, or insult me instead please indulge my little fantasy. :-)

I am the new owner of a .454 ruger alaskan 3" snubby. I came to this in a wandering from a beloved Redhawk in 45 Colt, regretfully sold, followed by a valiant effort at carrying a S&W 460xvr 8+b bbl, followed by a great 629-6 that doesn't help me with my.452 family of moulds and compatible arms, bringing me around to what I hope it's the perfect woods gun for me.

That being said, I love to shoot, and I am geared up to shoot a lot. And I would like to squeeze a little more fun (and maybe some accuracy) by putting a red dot on this gun. In my searches I mainly find info on every gun but my little snubby.

So, I throw myself on the mercy of the gunsmiths and accomplished hobbiests and plead for constructive advice. Be gentle.

JP

I believe that the flat either on the topstrap or behind the front sight could be drilled and tapped for a steel weaver base, one for a marlin 336 should work. Your mounting options would be limited. Because the base is only about an inch long and only has one slot, but a leupold deltapoint or a trijicon RMR should fit and work nicely. I wouldn't mount anything very heavy with this setup as the inertia would likely try to tear it off under recoil, but those two little sights weigh nothing and are tough units. They also would be keeping with the trim handy idea of the Alaskan.

I never looked at one to know for sure but I think it could be cut for the Super Redhawk rings. Some smiths are taking that Alaskan frame and fitting a barrel to make it into a SRH just to get rid of those scope mount cuts. I donít see why we couldnít mill those back in, the front one may need a modified ring to somehow work around the sight but should be doable.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

How about one of the LER holo sights ? They are both short and light and require only a short picatinny style rail to mount.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Andy couldn't you just pull the rear sight and mill a offset scope ring to fit the sight cut out using the pin hole and screw hole already there?
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I donít know Will, I think so, I need to get after one with calipers to know 100%. I believe you could also use the S&W X-frame mount system on it, change the rear sight to the S&W type. Mill the top and tap the S&W pattern in, use an S&W rear sight and all the Smith stuff out there would bolt right onto it.

Iíve never looked close at an Alaskan to see what the front sight is on them and donít have one here or see a good picture on the intreweb. I assumed it has the same quick change dovetail that other SRHs have in the ramp. Next one I see Iíll be looking close at the front sight to see.

If it is that sight Iím thinking cut the Ruger notches just behind the front sight machining and in the stock placement for the back notches and use the stock Ruger rings. If not enough room between the rings (I think there would be room) modify the rings just enough to get the scope between them and Bobs your uncle.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Ahh... so there is a chance :-)

The front sight is pinned in, not the nice little plunger to pop in and out. The top strap is super thick, and the only hole I see in the window is the one for the elevation adjustment screw (I assume, I havent' had it apart yet). Milling it to fit the S&W would be a pretty good idea, as far as making it easy to swap around, as long as the existing hole doesn't end up in the way.

Well thank you all for your replies! I will put the idea on the backburner, and hopefully someone else wanting to put a scope on a Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan 3" revolver will find this in a search.

If the front is just pinned thatís all the better, that would mean the front cuts could be made closer to if not at the factory location.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Front sight is just a pinned in blade on the flat barrel surface.

Click pic for bigger view
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you