Thread: Questions about an anomaly in a caribou...

Default Questions about an anomaly in a caribou...

A good friend of mine just picked his caribou at the processor this afternoon with the following information...

1.) lymph nodes of the animal were 2x the size of "normal" caribou.

2.) bones had numerous pinholes.

They said that they didn't know what it was but it could be cancer...and they didn't recommend he eat it, not sure why.

Gotta admit I've handled and processed a fair bit of game meat over the years and have seen various cysts and worms and old injuries but this is completely outside my realm of experience. We observed the animal for several hours before taking it and it acted "normal" as far as we could tell- no obvious injuries or ailments. The caribou did have a single antler...which is unusual but hardly grounds for chucking the whole critter.

Anybody ever heard of anything similar? Would the meat be safe to eat?
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    They said that they didn't know what it was but it could be cancer...and they didn't recommend he eat it, not sure why.
    Who were "they"?
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    Who were "they"?
    The processor. Well established and reputable outfit.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

The processor. Well established and reputable outfit.
    Hmmm... dunno what I'd do. Always have butchered my own. Have never seen anything in any of my animals that caused concern...
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

You have meat from an animal that appears to have something significantly wrong that may be a result of some unknown disease. Without knowing more, I would likely agree with them. I would suggest contacting ADF&G to see if they have any knowledge of similar problems. If not, they may at least know where you might be able to send samples to for testing.