Thread: leupold light weight scopes ?

Default leupold light weight scopes ?

Ok I am looking at putting a leupold 3x9x33 CDS ultralight weight scope on my kimber montana 30-06. does anyone how experience using these scopes on a high powered rifle. normally I would just put a 3x9x40 CDS but seeing if I can save a little more weight. I am wanting to know if anyone else has tried this kind of set up and how it worked out.
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by skipper View Post
    Ok I am looking at putting a leupold 3x9x33 CDS ultralight weight scope on my kimber montana 30-06. does anyone how experience using these scopes on a high powered rifle. normally I would just put a 3x9x40 CDS but seeing if I can save a little more weight. I am wanting to know if anyone else has tried this kind of set up and how it worked out.
    thanks
    I've used the Leupold UL scopes with good results. Little smaller eye box and objective. No big deal under almost any realistic condition.

However- DO pay close attention to tube length. My 3-9x40 Vortex is barely long enough to fit on my Kimber Montana '06 using Warne rings. You can use extension rings if it won't fit...but what a hassle for saving an ounce.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

I have 3x9x33 on my 270. The only thing that bothers me a bit is the eye relief. With the scope all the way back in the rings I still need to get up into it a bit more than I'd like. I still "may" get an extension ring if I can't get used to it. I don't shoot the gun that often, but I hope to change that.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I have that same leupy ultralight on my kimber montana, and its taken its fair share of animals. If your shooting under 400 yards i think its a great scope. Ive recently got a Swaro 3.5x18x44 and i will never buy another leupy again. Its just such a night and day difference. For me personally i need more than 9 power when shooting past 400 but its all personal preference. Great scope, cheap, and lightweight.

I was thinking about putting that 3-9x33 on my Hawkeye in 280Rem. However, I elected to go with an FXII in 6x36 with the LD reticle. I chose it because it had less moving parts and less to worry about going wrong. The tube length is the same so you may experience an eye relief issue. I dropped mine into a set of cheap quad lock weavers, tightened them down well, and its solid. BTW, UL scope is 0.2 oz lighter than the FXII and about $85 more. Hope that helps.

I've run three of them 3x9x33 ultralight scopes on my light rifles for over 20 years...I love them, and have not had any troubles with them...another good mtn rifle scope is the 6X42...have a bunch of those too!
    "Mountains are not fair or unfair, they are just dangerous" ~ Reinhold Messner

I have two of the 3-9x33 and like them.

I've used the 3-9X33 and the 2-7X28 both UL Leupys and have had great results from both. Granted I rarely shoot beyond 300 yards so if you are a long range guy that may change your perspective. But I still am able to tip over an animal or two with the Leupold Ultralights over the years

Great scopes, I've had several. I've been contemplating popping one on a new LH nula rifle I picked up.
    But as was mentioned, the eye relief is woeful. You'll want to avoid if you are shooting a really lightweight magnum--it's weatherby eyebrow if one isn't careful. Also the light gathering and brightness is good, until you compare it to a Zeiss, Swarovski or higher quality optic. The difference is really apparent.
    The weight difference between a vx3 2.5-8X36mm and a vx-2 3-9X33mm lightweight is about 2-2.5 ounces. It's about 3-3.5 ounces for a 3-9X36mm Z3 Swarovski.
    The weight increase is almost nothing for the profound difference in clarity and low light advantage with superior coated glass in the better leupy and swaro. Zeiss's offerings start getting a quarter pound heavier, but the eye relief is outstanding in comparison.

For trudging across the tundra for a caribou, or high country for sheep, the superlight leupy is fine--probably ideal. If other applications are there, like a late season kodiak deer hunt, or a bush country moose hunt, I'd consider adding the extra ounces for the best in clarity and brightness.
    Proud to be an American!

I've had several of them, though presently I'm down to two, both with M1 turrets sitting on a pair of 10/22s. For that application they work pretty well, but I can't pretend they are a great fit for anything else though they will work in a pinch. When weight is critical I tend to run a 6X42 Leupold and figure it is about the best compromise I can make in all regards.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

I've had one on my .338 for years and on my 270. No issues. Worked great. In the great search for the best scope I've settled on the 2.5-8 vxIII as my all time favorite. I've seen most of the high end euro stuff on clients guns and never said wow wish I had one of these. I've also never lost an animal
    Or a shot at an animal due to clarity or light loss....I don't buy scopes based off light transmition. Clarity yes.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by mtnclimber View Post
    I have that same leupy ultralight on my kimber montana, and its taken its fair share of animals. If your shooting under 400 yards i think its a great scope. Ive recently got a Swaro 3.5x18x44 and i will never buy another leupy again. Its just such a night and day difference. For me personally i need more than 9 power when shooting past 400 but its all personal preference. Great scope, cheap, and lightweight.
    This is far from being a fair comparison. A 3X9X33 leupold compared to a 3.5X18X44 Swaro. I have been using Leupolds for over 30 years and have had excellent results. I will probally never know about the swaro's. Very happy with Leupold.

Leupold 2.5-8x36 VXIII is my go to scope when I've got a choice/have the money. I'm thinking about sending mine to the factory for a Boone and Crockett reticle upgrade.