Thread: Remington Bronze Point

Default Remington Bronze Point

I searched but didn't find, so apologies if this is a retread.

I have some old Remington Bronze Point 30 cal, 150 gr. I know they have long been a good deer bullet, but who has experience with these on larger game, up to moose and black bear? I don't know if they are like a Ballistic Tip in terms of expansion, or sturdy enough for the tougher game?

I came into a large quantity of factory loaded 150gr bronze point 270 ammo a number of years ago, all in the old green and red Remington boxes. I had never shot any and didn't own a 270 to do so with. I sent all of them home with my dad one summer when he came up to fish. He has been shooting a Remington 700 in 270 since about 1975 and I figured he could find a good use for them for varmints and target practice. After a while I asked him how they worked and he replied that they just flat kill the heck out of wild hogs, he also said that they seemed to shoot really well out of his rifle. I don't know what kind of groups they shoot as he rarely shoots a target of any type but rather shoots rocks at unknown distances from field positions. But some of the hogs he has shot with them were on the largish side, 200+ pounds and they can be pretty tough.

They are often referenced in old books about shooting and hunting, seems they were either loved or hated. Some writers praised them while others spoke of bullets blowing apart or failing to expand at all on longer shots.

Quote Originally Posted by Mort View Post
    I don't know if they are like a Ballistic Tip in terms of expansion, or sturdy enough for the tougher game?
    I shot a couple of whitetails with the 150gr bronze points, and in all cases, the bronze points were very explosive out of the .30-06.

I would want something different for hunting moose and black bears. I have no doubt that they would kill either of these animals, but from what I saw these bullets do to whitetails, I would expect high meat destruction on a moose and big holes in the hide on a black bear.

I have a BIL in the village who has never had his bore polluted by any other bullet; he loves them. At the local store you can get as many boxes as you can afford in .270 or '06. They are popular.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Once upon a time (in a land far away) I shot a bunch of deer with them- mostly 270, but a few with 06. They were kinda fragile inside 100 yards, producing more blood shot than I liked. But they were exceptional performers for long range shooting. Reliable penetration with good expansion, but not too much.

I've seen one elk shot with the 270 load.... Perfect lung shot behind the foreleg at around 225-250 yards. Dead is dead. Full penetration and instant kill.

Moose? Dunno. Speculation? Keep away from big leg bones, especially on close shots, to avoid meat loss, and I bet dead is dead.

They were great bullets! I know a lot of guys that used to swear by them. They are all deer hunters so I cant say on how they would do on the bigger animals. The were a very accurate bullet as well. the same concept as the Nosler Ballistic tip that was around 40 years ago.

Not so sure we should continue talking about these in the past tense....believe they are still a catalogued product.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Thanks for all the replies. Found similar love/hate relationships on other fora. Don't mean to imply they aren't still available, but these are pretty doggone old, and the bullet by the same name may be a significantly different (read "improved") version. With all the other bullets available, I think I'll not use these on bigger game.