Thread: Need a little advice for Kodiak Fox

Question Need a little advice for Kodiak Fox

I've read all the previous threads I can find on Kodiak predator hunting, which has been enough to get me a little excited about the possibilities. I will be there next week for a day, have to work, but should have about 4-6 hours after work is done before my flight out. I'll rent a car while there, and based on some of my recent reading, thought I'd take a .22 and FoxPro call along. I could bring the .220-250 if it would increase my odds, but thought I'd opt for the smaller/lighter .22 - that's subject to change based on recommendations. I've done and will continue to do all the map & online study I can, but there's no substitute for experience so I'd like any advice anyone can offer. I was thinking about heading out Anton Larsen Bay Rd. to call fox, but it seems the beach could be productive as well, so considered maybe going to the end of Pillar Cr. Rd and walking the beach from there. I also remember there's a stream near the end of that road that as I recall, looked as if it could be good predator habitat. Hopefully I can get a local's thoughts on where would my best chances at taking a fox based on the obvious constraints of time and proximity to the road system. I don't mind walking a few miles, but the amount of time I have there will obviously be the limiting factor. Thanks in advance for any input!

Leave the .22-250 at home. They do way too much damage to those thin hides.

Either of the rifles seem a little light IF you happen to call in a hungry bear by accident.
    Just something to think about.
    Not too familiar with hunting the road system maybe someone else can point you in the right direction.
    Good Luck,
    RASTUS

Yep - forgot to mention I'll pack the 10mm in case the predator that comes to the call weighs 1100lbs instead of 13lbs. Thanks for the advice guys.

I guess for the sake of somebody eventually finding this thread I'll recap. Went down Anton Larsen Road to the end and hunted around the beach for a couple miles. Then went to the end of Pillar Creek Road and hunted the forest in the area for a bit. Tide was in while I was out off Pillar Cr. Rd, so couldn't hunt the beach there. Never saw hide nor hair of any predators, big or small. Hunted the head of Anton Larsen Bay, but wasn't prepared to cross the creeks to get far enough in that I expected to do much good there. Lots of bear sign there. There were still a lot of spawned out pinks in the creeks. I'd still be interested in any advice anybody has - won't be my last time looking for fox on Kodiak.

FF