Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2013 moose hunt:

Default 2013 moose hunt:

Extremely busy with school, customer orders, catching up with being gone for three weeks, cutting up meat, and getting the canoe shop tooled-up. But a quick shout on the canoe forum is all I can manage for today only. Might not be back to observe all this AOD squirrel chatter for about another month.

This hunt couldn't have happened without FM loaning me his canoe, no words with how thankful I am, and a coast guard friend loaning me a few other pieces of gear. With that said, making the competitor's canoes look good is a nice gesture anyhow. I won't show pictures of that heavily damaged egg-shell bottom.

4x4 on the brow tines, one broke from fighting as well as cuts in the ears from fighting, 56". A true warrior, he wanted to kill me. He had the most voluminous, deepest grunt I've ever heard. Was very intimidating, much like a charging bear. Genetically, he's much more muscular than last year's moose. His skull was two inches wider than last year's taiga moose. Yukon mountain moose are heavily constructed. Main beams of the antlers are much thicker, tines are much thicker, I called him down from the mountains. Hardest hunt I've ever done.

This hunt taught me patience, and that I have perfected my moose calling. I even passed along my calling tips to a couple of old brothers who weren't having any luck(ages 56 and 59). They later called in a little mulligan bull right to their camp.

Attached Images Attached Images

Nice...!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

sweet! That's a nice bull.

Cool!
    Man, what is it with the Moose this year? My buddy got one on our hunt, and it came roaring at him as well. And, it had a big hole on his rigt rear haunch that was healing up from a horn encounter. Strong rut this year?
    Never wrestle with a pig.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

My buddy Tom,

Shot a 50.5 inch racked moose at about 1 ft away with a revolver. He was splitting firewood before going to bed, and had been drinking. he moved to the side as the freight train came a roaring through the brush.

Never did ask him if he pssed down the side of his leg.

Good on ya for sure.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Excellent! Great work! Want to see the canoe though!

missing the pain, stress, cold, fear ect. Being on the rivers brings about a real stress, life never feels so real like on a wild river!. reminiscing on this year's hunt as we approach winter:

Drive to Eagle pulling boat, with a classic canoe rig, an old Landcruiser. Pulled about 12 mpg the whole trip. I may run a torque cam, and get a trans shop to stiffen up the shifts by means of a valve-body mods. Hope to get 14 mpg towing for next year's hunt:

running down the Yukon. After rain for three days of driving, the sun came out. What a beautiful day it was, running down river. Stopped to check on a friend's cabin for lunch, the mountains looked amazing as I hiked a back water slough. Saw a big bull moose well over 55 incher on the Yukon, told a local fella about it at his fish camp, I hope he got that bull for his family. I didn't want to cut my trip short on the first day. took alot of discipline to let that bull go.

Nothing tasted better than a cup of french pressed coffee with canned milk, luskineagan (fry bread), and a whole pan full of fried grayling!:
    Well, fried beaver was purdy darned good too when grayling didn't stick to the ribs, every bit as good as moose meat.

My cook shack was torn, so only had a tarp this year. Made a decent cook shack by triangulating some dead-standing wood, nails, and little bungee cords.

A new friend snapped a picture of me as we ran down river on the same day. This was in a calm section, course pics never get taken when your blasting down a class lll chute with a whole bull moose aboard. Maybe some day!:
    (

Great looking trip, thanks for sharing.
    BK

Awesome,, love the Yukon country.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

I don't wear a whole lot of that ridiculous looking camo, but you don't need it IMO. Old BDU pants sure are nice though, good fleece, n a wool sweater too. got rid of the fleece though, going with an ll bean green wool shirt-jack next season as I wore out the fleece.

Anyhow,

When I got back on the Yukon, I was taking on one gallon of water every minute. I had some insane repairs to make, but it was so darn cold. Then.....it started to snow and never stopped for six flippin days. I had to put a tarp over the boat, and keep two burners running on a coleman stove, just to get the epoxy to semi-cure. took two days, and even then, the epoxy was only "tacky" Was a bum deal, very stressful. Running the Yukon in White-out conditions, shivering non-stop for two day, brought tears to my eyes on a couple occasions. Never been so cold, stressed, and mentally exhausted in all my hunting.

can't see all the moose meat under the antlers? that's because there's 18 inches of snow there:

A customer/friend snapped this pic when I met him on the Yukon:

On the drive back, I spotted a herd of over 150 caribou with one massive bull tending the herd. I put on my moccasins and stalked them in the ravine with my camera. I mimicked the bull's tending grunts, and tricked the entire heard to cross right near my vehicle. It was amazing, running up that ravine amongst a whole heard of caribou. They weren't fearful of me as long as I kept mimicking the noises of the large bull that was tending the heard. I shot a bunch of caribou with an olympus camera.

blurry, tried to snap it while we were a runnin! They're fast, but I can hang.

stopped for pic, didn't need the zoom:

Thanks for the great pics.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Awesome hunt and pictures!

Great pics and story. Thanks for posting. Sounds like you really earned that one.
    I am no longer surprised at what I am no longer surprised at ---Bill Whittle

Great read and pics Mainah !!!!

On the older 70's model tanks we pulled the carb off and replaced it with the chevy one barrel down draft carb. The 1974 I had went from 10mpg to 17/18 mpg. The old ones had that ten gallon tank under the passenger front seat and you were out at 100 miles or sooner.

I am curious, any pictures of the damage before/after you repaired?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast