Thread: Hares turning yet

Question Hares turning yet

Just wondering if anyone has been out after hares and if they noticed the hares turning color yet? If you've been out, what part of the state, any luck? Also what is your opinion on the cycle level this year in your area?

I have been seeing a lot of hare and it doesn't look like any are turning yet.

I finally saw one last weekend and it wasn't turned at all either.

In your opinions, where do you feel we are at in their population cycle?

The cycle isn't the same across the whole state so where you are matters a great deal. I think the valley may be on an up swing. I know the undeveloped 8 acres next to me has quite a few more hare on it than I have seen in the last 4 years.

I think the peninsula is a year or two behind the valley or anchorage. Hoping this year is the worst of the low because I've seen ONE hare in about a year now. They should be building in numbers down here over the next few years.

Saw three hares today while bird hunting and one was starting to turn pretty good. Winter is coming!

Quote Originally Posted by jpc8636 View Post
    Saw three hares today while bird hunting and one was starting to turn pretty good. Winter is coming!
    Without giving too descriptive of a location, where abouts were you bird hunting? Say, north of Anchorage but south of Willow or Chickaloon? further north? south of anchorage? Wanting to take the boys out next weekend and not sure on which way to head or how far we might have to go. They plan on meeting up with me, just have to let them know where.

They where on the backside of JBER is some of the thick stuff near eagle river.