Thread: Any info on Homer Elks King Derby?

Default Any info on Homer Elks King Derby?

I hear it's this weekend oct 5&6. But I've called and emailed the lodge for details but can't seem to get a hold of them. We had a great time last year. We are going to try the kings regardless if the weather holds but it's always fun to up the stakes.

Anyone have confirmed info or a website they can point to?

AlaskaKayakFisher.com
    Guidesak.blogspot.com
    My personal pages...I'm not a guide.

Call 235 2127 after 4. No one is there before then.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

It's on. Register after 4pm Friday at lodge or do it by phone. Starts 7:30am sat. Runs through Sunday. Didn't get end time.

AlaskaKayakFisher.com
    Guidesak.blogspot.com
    My personal pages...I'm not a guide.

Charterboat Operator

WELL???
    though it was a little bumpy, and i know Rudy's 6" salmon didn't win anything, anyone got results????

Quote Originally Posted by POLE BENDER View Post
    WELL???
    though it was a little bumpy, and i know Rudy's 6" salmon didn't win anything, anyone got results????
    Hey now PoleBender!! The 6 incher was LAST weekend! We bumped it up a notch this weekend..or I should say Saturday. Our report was decent fishing by Pt Pogi and Flat Island on Saturday. We could see fairly constant fish being caught. We managed 4 in that area. At the end of the day, we tried the green can and went 3 for 5 in under 2 hours as it was getting dark.

For kick and grins, we decided to try the bluffs Sunday. We knew it was an issue when we saw only 3 or 4 boats in the area. We got several hits early and landed one tiny halibut. We did not see a single salmon on Sunday but we got reports that others were hammering fish...where we weren't. Ran back towards Seldovia...Nothing. It was as clear of a sonar as I have ever seen. The only bait and fish marks we saw were right off the spit.

Well we are rookies at this so the results aren't too surprising. We will get it nailed down sooner than later we hope. Everything from too long of leaders, tangles as we tried stacking the downriggers, and just not sitting on top of fish. We are good enough to catch fish when they are plentiful, but we definitely have a LONG ways to go before we are going to have any consistency from it.

Here's a rough barely edited video of a few fish. We never get as much video during derbies. I was trying a different mount for the camera. Sorry in advance for the weird angles and always looking back at the camera. Definitely shows potential but need to get the angles and the pole out of the picture. Pretty stable image for holding it in one hand most of the time.

Charterboat Operator

are you getting soft in your old age or just smart??? heated cabin? we will never get you back in that yAK!
    looks like you had some fun for sure. thinking the net handle need one more extension to it though !!!
    nice job on the vid, you need to at least pretend you are having a little fun while you are filming!
    heading down this weekend to see if you left any out there!
    cheers.