Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: One and Done

Default One and Done

Please convince me that a 375H&H is not the best choice for hunting everything from rockchucks to brownies.

And that all the other cartridges are really froth on the kettle.I have hunted and shot dozens of game animals in the US and Africa with the 375...all of them have been dead very quickly...although a few didn't know it immediately.

I understand that occasionally shots at 300 yards or farther have to be taken.Been there and done that.

But the guides I've worked with have always told me "hold for hair" in my zeros.

Not trying to rain on anyones parade...but for me, a ready to hunt 375 at 8 1/4 lbs gets it done.

Why would you want anyone to try to change your mind when you found something that works so well for you?

Might be a test of courage to lay a few hundred rounds out per day on a prairie dog shoot - ouch! But, can't argue the little doggies would be obliterated! Perhaps a 375 and 243 would be a pair to settle on?
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

A "One and Done" approach is not at all difficult, though I'd say that the 375 H&H would not be my pick. What can be done and what works best are two very different things and using one rifle/caliber for everything can't be best........
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

I'd be content if that was all I could have. But with my creaking old bones 8 1/4# is just too danged light any more for prone shooting. Got one that weighs right around that, and it eats my lunch. Guys get older they tend to get detached retinas from excessive recoil. Ain't going there. Now I'm facing less punch in the cal or a heavier rifle. My other 375 weighs right at 10# and is very much easier to whang. It will stay as it is, but the light one will soon get a new barrel. The fun is deciding which caliber.

As for One and Done, brown rice, sweet taters and black beans supposedly give you all the nutrition you need. Pretty tasty meal, I have to admit. But I'll be danged if that's all I'm going to eat for the rest of my life, any more than I'm going to shoot just one gun.

WHY would one only have one gun!!!!!! Yes, watch out for the man with only 'one gun' as he really knows how to shoot it. Part of the fun of shooting is to have a gun suited for what you are shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by 7STW View Post
    Please convince me that a 375H&H is not the best choice for hunting everything from rockchucks to brownies.

And that all the other cartridges are really froth on the kettle.I have hunted and shot dozens of game animals in the US and Africa with the 375...all of them have been dead very quickly...although a few didn't know it immediately.

I understand that occasionally shots at 300 yards or farther have to be taken.Been there and done that.

But the guides I've worked with have always told me "hold for hair" in my zeros.

Not trying to rain on anyones parade...but for me, a ready to hunt 375 at 8 1/4 lbs gets it done.
    If I/we were to adress your lines, one by one, that would be easy enough. All your statements/questions put together don't really make much sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Bearcat View Post
    WHY would one only have one gun!!!!!! Yes, watch out for the man with only 'one gun' as he really knows how to shoot it. Part of the fun of shooting is to have a gun suited for what you are shooting.
    That's not been my experience.......

I agree that the 373 H7H can take anything from gophers to gorillas and is a well balanced cartridge. BUT once you start nearing the half century mark you may find that it's not always the most desireable round to use. It's platform is heavier than required for non-dangerous game and wears on the already worn human body parts more than sporter type rifles. Recoil can be more than desired on shoulders that have had surgery OR been replaced and felt recoil is really felt in the wrist with carpal tunnel. Then we look back at all the pretty and well made rifles we could have carried, owned, shot, collected, and realize that one gun is simply not enough. In todays high speed travel world where we can change from small game animals the large carnivorous predators in a matter of hours a battery of guns suited for terrain and species is more desireable, and probably more productive and with the current prices of ammo less costly.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Quote Originally Posted by 1Cor15:19 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AK Bearcat View Post
    Yes, watch out for the man with only 'one gun' as he really knows how to shoot it.
    Yeah, it's the WOMAN with only one gun you need to be wary of!
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    Point well made. Personally, I've never seen a marksman (marksperson?) only own one rifle. I've known numerous people that are proficient and only own one rifle, but I've not seen a 'one gun' man (person) be a marksman.......

Point well made. Personally, I've never seen a marksman (marksperson?) only own one rifle. I've known numerous people that are proficient and only own one rifle, but I've not seen a 'one gun' man (person) be a marksman.......
    Well, what makes a person a marksman in your view? I'm familiar with the dictionary definition, but perhaps you mean something slightly different(?). Case in point: my GF doesn't especially enjoy shooting for the sake of shooting. She doesn't even care to hang out at the range while I shoot; (she thinks it's boring). She typically only fires two rounds a year; one at the range to confirm POI hasn't changed, and one in the field. I would consider her a marksman. She only owns a single 30-06.... I think them's the ones you gotta watch out for.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

In the Corps marksman is one point above DNQ. Number of weapons makes no difference it what you do with the one you have. I'm sure military snipers and competitive shooters don't sit around and concider which rifle they feel like using each day. This is my rifle.There are many
    The line is "Beware of the one rifle man that knows how to use it". Some have one gun and are poor shots and see no purpose in having two guns they can't shoot.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

As a worldwide endeavor you are in the right territory... kinda big for N.America exclusively but a guy could do way worse than the .375 as a one gun battery. Not the best for long range, certainly a bigger hammer than you need for the deer family...but meat damage is surprisingly mild.

Marksmen come in all shapes, genders, sizes and have guns numbered from 0 to 100's but I believe the intent of the "beware the one gun hunter" is that since he hunts with a single rifle he (supposedly) will know it's capability, trajectory, operation and there's no confusion as far as ammunition or load. Personally I believe the idea has a lot of merit- I own several rifles but only really hunt with one.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Mine ether, the one gun guys I see at the range also are one half full box of Wal-Mart ammo bought 3 years ago guys. Guys that havenít shot their rifle since they missed that moose last year and now they are at the range (day or two before opener) because they figure they missed a year ago due to a scope that got knocked. They shoot 2 or 3 from a rest (never from any field positions) and when they land on paper figure thatís good enough then head to the woods one gun and 1/3 box of old Wal-Mart ammo in tow.

They usually shoot good enough to fill a tag when the stars align for them but are far from good shots because they never do any shooting to maintain such a perishable skill. Want to see some good shoots itís those old guys at the range that everybody knows because he is always there putting lead down range and usually with a different gun every time you see him.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Yea thatís a horse of another color there. Funny how naturally shooting comes to women, guys naturally know how to operate a gun but women just seem to fill X-rings with holes effortlessly but no instinctive or built in idea about how the thing works like guys have. This will likely bet me bashed but women are often more natural drivers too, 16 years old and donít know which end the motors at but itís the guys not the gals in the ditch more often than not.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Well, what makes a person a marksman in your view? I'm familiar with the dictionary definition, but perhaps you mean something slightly different(?).
    Didn't really mean for this thread to turn this way, but I'd say a Marksman routinely executes shots that most shooters can't execute under any circumstances, emphasis placed on the routine aspect. Marksman have uncommon abilities and by my definition are a rarity in the shooting world--though I hear about them all the time on the internet.

...though I hear about them all the time on the internet.
    Lotta keyboard marksmen on the net. Sad.

I love guns...and rifles in particular.Although I have owned and shot all manner of handguns...and become a very decent shotgun shooter...I always come back to rifles.I served on the USARMTU and certainly achieved a "Marksman" qualification..LOL

My point for hunting is that a 375 is never out of place...either in the lower 48 or AK.There is no such thing as "too dead".My Sako AV is braked which reduces the recoil down to the 270 or certainly 30-06 level.All the board hysteria about braked rifles goes out the window when you drop a cap on this 375...it is a hunting rifle pure and simple.I once shot 30 some dassies prone in RSA during a "break" from hunting bigger stuff.300 grain Bearclaws were very convincing on dassies.And I was none the worse for wear afterwards.In fact, my PHs pre64 '06 was much more obnoxious than my 375.

JMHO

Well, I'm not overly recoil sensitive, but I think 300/400 round a day at rockchucks or such with a 375H&H might be a little more than would be fun. Also, that much powder and expensive .375 bullets would bruise my wallet as well as my shoulder. Heck, might as well go with a 378 Weathby and make those really long shots as well. I could kill anything on the planet nicely with my 358Norma but after 300/400 rounds a day, it wouldn't be much fun either and why would one want to when there so many other guns that work better in their area.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast