Thread: Good tires!

Default Good tires!

Hey all...I know it's been talked about already, but I don't want to search for it! What kind of tires are you guys running and where are you getting the best deals right now? Also looking for a 2" lift for my rancher if any of you have experience there. Thanks

If you are going to install a lift I am assuming you will spent a lot of time in mud and other nasty muck. Otherwise a good tire will depend on where you want to go and what you want to do. Here's a good place to start

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=11722

Default Mudlites

Everyone around North Pole / Eielson seems to really like Mudlites. I don't have any experience with them, but they have a reputation for being good tires for all around use. They now have the Mudlite XL's in 25'' tire sizes too, so you can have the deep lugs with stock tire diameter if you want it.

Mudlites are cheap and a great improvement over stock. You want better you pay more. IMO the best are Outlaw MSTs.

I had Mud Lites on my Rancher and was amazed at how much it improved the steering even more than the traction. It is full time 4WD and after the lites went on it actually turned when I moved the bars!
    Mike
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org
    There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.

Default The "Swamp Witch"

I little bit heavier, but bulletproof -

AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

I run 589s....which are pretty much a heavier version of the mudlites. The lugs are just solid..the mudlites have wider lugs though.

I would definitely go with the mudlites on a rancher... you don't want a heavy huge tire on a smaller cc machine. If you get the lift, go with some 26" xt's and you won't be disappointed.

For your lift, go to www.highlifter.com. They have been making lifts for hondas, yamahas, a/c, etc. for years. Good folks. Don't know what the shipping would be, but it couldn't be much. The lift is basically raising your shock mounts. I have a highlifter lift on my A/C. Can't complain.
    "The rich... who are content to buy what they have not the skill to get by their own excellence, these are the real enemies of game".... Theodore Roosevelt's A Principle of the Hunt

I went through the same dilema's you are right now... I ended up with the mudlite XL's with the big lugs frnt and back. Went choise 26's for my Vinson. They are half the weight of the XTR's and 589's and I've gone through some nasty muck...in 2wd. I only need 4wd now when I want to go down hill (steep) in loose gravel, or crawl over really big logs. I aired down the 12" wide back tires to 5psi so I would have a little more push on gravel, and well, they just push, through anything. I've ran them on rough sharp rocks for miles, through stumpy clearcut fields, and all kinds of trails, and no punctures yet. I was a skeptic, even when I first bought them, but I will have to admit, they seem to work really well and I am pleased. Oh, and they look b/a too.
    Good luck on your choice.

Mudlites for me. I did have 589's but they were a little to rough riding for me. I'm mostly a trails guy and the roots and rocks were just to hard on the arms. I've had no problems in mud at all with them.
    Live life now, or forever wish you did!

Default good place to shop

I bought mudlite 589's through www.denniskirk.com ; turns out they are cheaper than most local stores...even with shipping included. Check them periodically...their sales are awesome...and no, I am not a salesman for dennis kirk

DeadWolf

Keep something in mind, if you go with a lift and too big a tire your Rancher is going to have very little power. I had 27" Mudlites on my Foreman 450 and although it did well (very well) through mudholes I noticed a significant decrease in power through the gears. Its like a lifted truck with huge tires and stock gears , not a good equation as it robs power. You'd be suprised at just how much better bite you get with good tires even if they are stock size or one size bigger. I ended up selling the 27"'s and went with 25"'s with the bigger XL lugs and they work great. Stock tires on wheelers are generally junk for Alaskas' challenging terrain. Just food for thought.

Quote Originally Posted by bgreania View Post
    I bought mudlite 589's through www.denniskirk.com ; turns out they are cheaper than most local stores...even with shipping included. Check them periodically...their sales are awesome...and no, I am not a salesman for dennis kirk
    There is no such thing as mudlite 589s. ITP makes mudlites and they make 589s. Totaly different thread and rubber compounds.

Quote Originally Posted by ob_1jr View Post
    I run 589s....which are pretty much a heavier version of the mudlites. The lugs are just solid..the mudlites have wider lugs though.
    I disagree No way are the 589s a heavier version of mudlites. Mudlites are round with side lugs while the 589 have a flat profile with no side lugs and are made from stronger rubber compounds.
    Mudlites sink into corners while 589s hold their shape. Mudlites have a marshmellow feel compared to the stable feel of 589s. Mudlites are inferior to 589s in mud, snow, and deep water (589s paddle better).
    Mudlites have a lot of hype but there are at least 5 tires better for alaska trails. Read the tire section at Highlifter.com to see thousands of driver feedbacks on tires and you won't think to highly of mudlites in comparison.
    I have mudlite XLs on one of my machines and 589s on the other. I'm not saying 589s are one of the best tires, but mudlites sure aren't.

I went with 26" Mudlites on my Grizz. They are lighter than the 589's and still offer a vast improvement over stock tires.

26" Mudlites on my Rancher with no lift and no problems.

Thumbs up Mudlites

I run 24" Mudlites on my 88 Foreman and 94 Kaw By.......sweet tire!
    Alaska

Default bear claws

Im using 26in kenda bear claws on my 04 honda foreman they go everywhere.
    although sometimes I think I should have stayed with the 25 inch stock size to help retain a little more torque.

Default Mudlites for me

I run ITP Mudlite 26s on my Kodiak and they are great. I bought them from Valley Motor Sports in Wasilla. They were almost $100 cheaper than anyone in Anchorage.
    Women never look so well as when one comes in wet and dirty from hunting

Default Good but soft.

I run Mudlites on my Forman 450. They pretty much get me every where I want to go. Watch the throttle though. I've gotten on it too quick a couple times and dug a hole straight down to the axle. THey also have a soft compound. Gravel roads like the pipeline ( which is where I ride the most) will wear into them pretty good.