Thread: Trail Brushing

Default Trail Brushing

We are back at work in the Sutton area. If you come upon our equipment please wait for the operator to see you. He will shutdown and move over to let you pass.

Sometimes a lot of brush is left on the trail. If you a riding in the area please consider taking a few minutes to throw some of the slash off the trail.

before

after

We continue onward

Last weekend saw 14 people clearing the Buffalo Mine Road end of the trail. If you've never seen the old boiler house it's now easily accessible.

Thank YOU .........

Who is paying for this?
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by mit View Post
    Who is paying for this?
    The funds came from the Recreational Trails Program via Federal Highways (and the Mat-Su Trails Council). In other words you are Tim. The govt reached into your pocket, took a few bucks and gave them to us.

Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
    Thank YOU .........
    You are welcome. I've had a chance to ride the trails the last couple of days while hauling fuel and supplies and the difference is night and day. Not being beaten, poked and stabbed by branches and the views that are opened up are awesome. The State really did a nice job when they did the reclamation out there so many years ago. Did you know that there are camping spots scattered all along these trails? They also made dozens of pocket lakes that attract all kinds of critters. Unfortunately there has been no maintenance since the reclamation was completed. If we can get permission to redig the ditches we will slow or stop some of the erosion like is seen in that last picture.

Quote Originally Posted by mstc_inc View Post
    The funds came from the Recreational Trails Program via Federal Highways (and the Mat-Su Trails Council). In other words you are Tim. The govt reached into your pocket, took a few bucks and gave them to us.
    Unfortunately.... this is one of the few worth while things our government has taken money out of my pocket for in a long time....

I will spare you the rest of my rant.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskanTides View Post
    Unfortunately.... this is one of the few worth while things our government has taken money out of my pocket for in a long time....

I will spare you the rest of my rant.
    They don't give it out easy. Hope you get a chance to get out and enjoy it before the snow flies.

These two trails were so grown over they were hardly used. The trail tread is almost as good as the day it was built

We got a new SxS so it looks like it is time to head to Sutton and try it out. The trail looks good, Thank you for the work!

If you dont mind me asking, could you pm me the route to the trail heads. I am not familiar with these trails and would like to check them out. Thanks!
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by roamak View Post
    If you dont mind me asking, could you pm me the route to the trail heads. I am not familiar with these trails and would like to check them out. Thanks!
    Greg
    Head North on the Glenn. Turn left on Jonesville Road, Sutton. Take the first or second left at the end of the pavement, doesn't matter which. Pick a place to park and unload. Ride back out to the road and turn left. Start exploring after you cross the creek and pass the sign "State Maintenance Ends". You can also travel west from the parking area on a trail that will take you all the way to Buffalo Mine Road. It jumps onto the road near 17 mile lake. Just take the right turns to keep on the trail.

FECON heads?
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtofak View Post
    FECON heads?
    We're running the EX40 flail from US Mowers. It has been a good machine. Our decision was partly influenced by the States GAUs. We wanted a package that was big enough to be effective w/o going much over 10k#. We believe that helps when applying for permits.