Thread: Lil' Help Please-Looking for links on Native Subsistence

Default Lil' Help Please-Looking for links on Native Subsistence

Hey you guys, I'm doing an online class out of UAF on AK Native Studies to be able to renew my teaching certificate, and I'm looking for a couple resources. I remember, a few (2-3 more) years ago some news in the ADN where a bunch of Native Alaskans got brought up on charges of wasting meat and some other stuff. (I think one was hunting waterfowl w/ lead shot.) I can't find links to those news articles, so I'm asking here if anyone else recalls those, or similar, events, and knows where to find resource (news site, web link, etc) to quote from. I'm writing a paper on the conflict between Native subsistence and Federal/State regulations, and, as you might imagine, the supplied texts paint an idyllic picture of the noble Eskimo on the ice facing impossible odds to feed his family. I'd like to find at least one or two pieces that paint the "other" picture. Thanks.

Search caribou and point hope.

Spring waterfowl hunting and lead shot hit anyone that lives in the bush and hunts in the spring. Very little is written about that outside trooper dispatches or USFWS news.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Ray View Post
    Search caribou and point hope.

Spring waterfowl hunting and lead shot hit anyone that lives in the bush and hunts in the spring. Very little is written about that outside trooper dispatches or USFWS news.
    thanks, that was the "connect the dots" I needed. I was missing the point hope part.

The daughter of the judge that ruled over the trial and did the sentancing of the 3 guys who were charged with wanton waste (in the Pt. Hope case) is the principal at Randy Smith Middle School in Fbks. She might have some knowledge.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Spring waterfowl hunting and lead shot? Oh my gawd!
    Man, I miss those days.

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    Spring waterfowl hunting and lead shot? Oh my gawd!
    Man, I miss those days.
    Well, I certainly wish we could have lead shot...make my life a heck of a lot easier. I got "extra credit" so to speak for bringing in resources from outside the class. FWIW.