Thread: Long range shooting near fairbanks?

Default Long range shooting near fairbanks?

I apologize if theres a thread about this already, I cant get the search to find anything but errors at the moment. However I was wondering if there may be a good location for long distance shooting. I am willing to drive in order to shoot. Any ideas?

guess no one shoots long range around here at all or don't want to share bummer. I suppose hunting land is shooter friendly but I would assume that would irritate hunters

Jake--Actually we had three weekends of long range shooting set up on Colorado Range on Ft. Greely. We shoot prone at 800, 900 & 1000 yards on Saturday and on Sunday, we shoot all at 1000 yards. Unfortunately, Range control are civilian contractors and due to Obama's sequestration, they were furloughed on weekends. No range control = no one uses the ranges. If things get straightened out and the Country turns to normal--well sort of--we will schedule long range shooting again. You can go to akrifleclub.com and look at our schedule. We hold our annual meeting in February and sometime after that we will publish our 2014 shooting schedule. Check us out! Bring what you got--We welcome all shooters.
    Craig

...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

i will certainly check into both of these. thank u both very much cant wait to do some 1000 meter shooting

Jake--English speaking countries of the world shoot matches in yards--not meters. That is, unless you get hooked up with the "Tommy Tacticool" guys and they shoot steel at unknown distances-use FFP scopes and solve meters in MRAD. Keep an eye on our web sites for our schedules and come shoot. We also shoot Mid Range prone matches at 300, 500 and 600 yards. It's addictive!

Quote Originally Posted by Nanook View Post
    Jake--English speaking countries of the world shoot matches in yards--not meters. !
    The U.S. Army shoots all ranges in meters and all ballistic data is in meters. Makes it easier when working with angular deviation.

Hi jake, I don't know what you consider long range? I usually hop in the plane and go shoot on the Flats. 3000-3500 feet is no problem where I go. I personally don't shoot beyond the 300-400 yard range. I'm more interested in distances that I shoot while hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoyt-Hunter View Post
    The U.S. Army shoots all ranges in meters and all ballistic data is in meters. Makes it easier when working with angular deviation.
    That's because The US is a member of NATO and for commonality we train on pop-up targets in the metric persuasion. M1 sights are in Yards, M14 sights are metric and the iron sights on the M16 are actually sort of in between. The current red dots for the M4 have ballistic hold over for GI ball.
    I have shot in competition matches held on military bases all over the United States. All of their known distance ranges are in yards including the KD ranges here, both at Ft.Richardson and Ft.Wainright. International competition between the English speaking nations of the world are in yards. U.S.A., Canada, GB, Ireland, Australia, NZ and South Africa. Sorry if I missed someone. As for working in MRAD; like I said "tommy-Tacticool" is at home with that. I have FFP mil-mil on my 98B and play with it like that also. Remember-A man is a meter from the bottom of his crotch to the top of his head. If he subtends two mil-dots, He is 500 meters away.
    Like I said, Check out our web site in the Spring and bring what you got and come shoot with us. New shooters are very welcome.
    Favor Center
    akrifleclub.com

Quote Originally Posted by jake1983 View Post
    I apologize if theres a thread about this already, I cant get the search to find anything but errors at the moment. However I was wondering if there may be a good location for long distance shooting. I am willing to drive in order to shoot. Any ideas?
    Jake, Thereís a range between Tok and the old airfield. Its been a few years since Iívebeen up there, but last time I was there the range was about 600yds and I heara rumor that they were pushing it out to a 1000.

By the end of this year, they had the shooting lane cleared and the cut/fill has been mostly done. Now for the really expensive part. Erect an impact berm, put up a target pitt wall and shot berm, then acquire and install target carriers for the target frames. You do realize that you just can not stand a target up at 1000 yards and bang away at it. There is a LOT of work and expense in making a viable rifle range. If you want to see this range get finished, figure out a way to help these guys. They need a lot of help and money to get it operational. I sure wish them all the best. My only hope is that I live long enough to shoot in a match there.