Thread: What is source of Tanin Water in K-Bay?

Default What is source of Tanin Water in K-Bay?

Last weekend we tried Homer but were forced to stay close due to the rough weather. We trolled by China Poot towards Halibut Cove on Sunday and encountered tanin/dark but clear brown water (almost like coffee) in odd areas. The pattern was such we couldn't determine where it was coming from. It must be brackish water laying on top of normal seawater as we didn't seem to have any problems getting Pollock to hit with our gear anywhere from 20ft to 100ft down.

I asked a few folks that I know live in the area and they didn't seem to know either. They were saying most of the larger freshwater runoffs in that area are glacial silty water.

So where is the source of this water?

Is it a fish magnet...or at least salmon magnet? Pollock seemed to like it.

Finally an unrelated questions...Pollock...a good or bad sign when trolling for kings. I was thinking good since they need to eat too. But curious as to the other's experience. We can usually keep them off by trolling faster but not this weekend. They were everywhere!

I saw this "brown" water while flying yesterday. It was quite expansive and i do not know exactly what it is. I would guess that it is some form of algae. It was not originating from any streams or rivers. KBRR (K-Bay research reserve) or perhaps Cook Inlet Keeper might have an idea.

Quote Originally Posted by agp View Post
    I saw this "brown" water while flying yesterday. It was quite expansive and i do not know exactly what it is. I would guess that it is some form of algae. It was not originating from any streams or rivers. KBRR (K-Bay research reserve) or perhaps Cook Inlet Keeper might have an idea.
    Thanks AGP! Your observations confirm what we saw and it was we couldn't associate the pattern to anything like a stream or cove from water level. I'll have to check around. Thanks for the response! We were saying we wish we had a birds eye view of this. Where we saw it, it just seemed odd or abbnormal...different than expected I guess is a better way of putting it.

It's probably nuke waste from japan!

Been a huge amount of brown seaweed washing up in past week on Homer beaches. Not sure if related.

I think that the Jolly Green Giant had diarrhea.

Quote Originally Posted by agp View Post
    We have a winner. It was an Algae bloom.
    http://www.alaskadispatch.com/articl...entity-unclear

Most dinoflagellates are not friendly to anyone. We can only watch to see how this al resolves itself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kardinal_84 View Post
    We have a winner. It was an Algae bloom.
    http://www.alaskadispatch.com/articl...entity-unclear