Thread: Anyone have luck with hooligan

Default Anyone have luck with hooligan

Just wondering if anyone had luck using hooligan for pike or burbot. This will be the first year using it and was wondering if I should bring the herring along if this doesn't work.

Yes I have had great success with pike fishing using Hooligan.
    My favorite was salted Hooligan as it didn't freeze and so I didn't have to thaw bait before fishing.
    When we had several pike lakes on the Peninsula I would use up a 5 gallon pail full each winter. Now our pike have been netted or poisioned out so I don't really fish them anymore. We caught lots of pike on them though and I highly recommend trying them out.
    I would fish them on a quickstrike rig either on a tip-up or a rod. Use a #6 or #8 treble on your quickstrikes for best results even on the big pike these hooks work great. Adding a blade or two on your quickstrikes can add some enticing flash. If you need some quickstrikes send me a PM and maybe we can work something out. I make them myself but you can also buy them at sporting goods stores in most areas or buy the copmponents and make your own.
    I am at a tossup as far as using them for Burbot bait. We don't have a lot of burbot fishing on the peninsula and I usually use herring when I do fish for them down here but I suppose I might try using some Hooligan this year as I have plenty of it saved for bait.
    I would use fresh frozen Hooligan for burbot though and not the salted variety.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Do you use normal pickeling salt and let the hooligan sit in it for a week to harden?

As soon as I get home with the fish I put a layer of salt in a bucket then a layer of fish then a layer of salt etc. until the bucket is full or I am out of fish.
    After a week or so drain the bucket of liquid.
    Keep it stored in a cool dark place.
    I just buy the regular salt in bulk from three bears.
    If your hooligan is currently frozen just use it as is. you just have to let it thaw before each use.
    I put a 1/8 oz eggsinker on my line. Then tie on a doulock swivel. I put a swivel on each quickstrike. when I get a fish I quickly rebait and send it back down and take my time unhooking the fish. For pike a Jaw spreader is a good thing to have on hand.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

I've had great success using hooligan for halibut, burbot, pike, and lakers.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly