Thread: Got Predator call but need advice (black bear)

Default Got Predator call but need advice (black bear)

I recently just bought a new predator call and am looking for some advice. I am planning on going out to the south fork in eagle river this weekend to go black bear hunting with my bow. I have no idea what type of situation I should put myself with the call to get the best results. should I be hiking really early in the morning to a good spot on a hill side and just start calling? looking for any advice!!!! Thanks

I have never used a predator call but the bears will be on the hillside in the berries.

South Fork of Eagle River is not open to any hunting. You can access legal hunting via that trailhead in Ship Creek or over the top into the North Fork drainage. You may already know this, but for those reading and thinking of this as an idea - check your maps carefully and make sure you have the appropriate registration permit if hunting the Eagle River drainage.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    South Fork of Eagle River is not open to any hunting. You can access legal hunting via that trailhead in Ship Creek or over the top into the North Fork drainage. You may already know this, but for those reading and thinking of this as an idea - check your maps carefully and make sure you have the appropriate registration permit if hunting the Eagle River drainage.
    RL 450 is open to black bear. which is east of the south fork of eagle river.....
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

Quote Originally Posted by akmike30 View Post
    RL 450 is open to black bear. which is east of the south fork of eagle river.....
    Right - it can be accessed from South Fork, but the hunt area is actually in the North Fork drainage.

And here is RL 460 - also not including part of South Fork.

call early and late but soon bears will be out all day looking for that last little bit of food before hibernation. if you have the ability call from a stand or with your back to something especially if there are brown bears around. they will almost always approach from downwind if they can. use maybe 5 second calls and wait a couple minutes in between. wayne carlton has a decent video on calling black bears but the prob with his video is that he alwyas sees them first. if your blind calling pick an area with lots of sign so you can be sure your calls are being heard. also don't rush it wait around a half hour or so. with all this being said i've seen bears and called with some disappointing results so be prepared to not succeed on the first try. ive had one run screaming the other direction when i called. i had one snoozing under a tree at 200 yrds and when i called he merely picked his head up looked around and put it back down so i shot him where he lay. use scent control and also put the sun at your back...just some starter tips. to be honest the last couple times i tried bear calling i just called in coyotes so if anything shoot some of those