Thread: GPS Satellite Maps

Default GPS Satellite Maps

Does anyone have any opinions on the quality of satellite maps on either Garmin or Delorme models? I'm concerned that I buy something and then the imagery is not very detailed....Right now I'm leaning towards one of the Garmin models w/high sensitivity receivers, but I do want to make sure the satellite imagery is detailed enough to be useful...I'll generally be using this around Juneau on Admiralty...

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.No View Post
    Does anyone have any opinions on the quality of satellite maps on either Garmin or Delorme models? I'm concerned that I buy something and then the imagery is not very detailed....Right now I'm leaning towards one of the Garmin models w/high sensitivity receivers, but I do want to make sure the satellite imagery is detailed enough to be useful...I'll generally be using this around Juneau on Admiralty...
    I bought the garmin skyview and was pretty dissapointed. I am also in juneau and the detail on the mansfield pennisula is not to bad but the detail of the rest of the area is not great when viewed on a computer and when viewed on the e trex 20 is not super useful

The Delorme that I used was decent, though ran through the batteries pretty quick...

I should be more specific: the Delorme I used seemed to run through the batteries pretty fast (I was trying to make a trail), but the satellite imagery was pretty helpful. I borrowed it from a friend who said it wasn't available (?) for most of the mansfield peninsula but was available for the rest of Admiralty around Juneau. If I'm stuck between the 2, I guess I'd get a bunch of rechargable batteries and the Delorme.