Thread: Glow for halibut lures

Default Glow for halibut lures

How many of you fish with a glow lure or attractor for halibut fishing? I am going to be tying up my rigs for next year and was thinking about trying some of the 9'' glow squid on my bait rigs. Any thoughts?

I wouldn't rig them all that way. For me, sometimes glow helps, sometimes it hurts, and most of the time it doesn't make any difference. I certainly try it every time I'm out, but more often than not with indifferent results. As many times as it's worked, about the same number of times we'd get hits on everything BUT glow.

I'm partial to the glow colors. But it isn't just the standard glow either.
    I use super glow colors on my jigs and they come in a few different colors.
    The beauty of the super glow powder paint colors is that they glow the same color as the paint. So the blue glows blue and the orange glows orange etc. etc.. they are the same color lights on or off unlike traditional glows that are one color in the light but all the same glow color in the dark.
    I also coat most of mine in a UV blast clear coat.
    Scientists claim that UV light is the deepest penetrating of the suns rays into the ocean.
    It wouldn't suprise me if the UV made a bigger difference than the glow.
    I also swithch it up between plain skirts,glow skirts and UV skirts. Many people seem to like the UV skirts the best.
    I have had good luck using the B2 squids in the glow colors. My mom caught a 100# Halibut on a smaller one that had inhaled it so deep we had to retrieve it with a fillet knife at the cleaning tables.
    I just picked up 28 dozen skirts for a super end of season price locally. You should have seen the look on the couhnter girls face whenI brought those up to the counter. lol
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Chris I just got some B2 Squid that were glow. What are the other types of skirts you are using?

Ive never used the glow lure but I do use the glow bait injection. It seems to produce more hits than just bare bait. Ive fished with it right next to others without it and caught fish while they weren't. Maybe it was just luck but then again maybe not. I seem to do better with orange/yellow uv.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

Quote Originally Posted by kgpcr View Post
    Chris I just got some B2 Squid that were glow. What are the other types of skirts you are using?
    Something like the skirts on this website.
    http://www.halibut.net/halibut-fishing-tackle.htm

Really like the double skirts regardless of the brand. The ones I bought locally were in bulk bins and I have no idea what brand they are or where else to get them. I may have to do some intenet searching one of these days.
    My normal internet sources of fishing tackle mostly seem to carry the skirt tabs normally used for bass fishing and the like.
    Not sure how those would work on some of my jigs. Maybe I'll try them one of these days.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"