Thread: Peal on UHMW, possible application for the bottom of canoe.

Default Peal on UHMW, possible application for the bottom of canoe.

The link here is to a company that makes peal on UHMW for several different applications. Seems to me, one could just order this stuff in the right width & thickness (upto 1/8" I believe) and put it on the bottom of a canoe as a low friction, sacrifical, abrasive surface. My only concern would be that the edges would peal away during a bottom dragging event. If your're thinking about using it, let us know your experience & what Crown Plastic has said about this type of application.

I'm suppose to be getting a heavy fiberglass canoe this winter, so maybe I'll give it a go.

Here's the link on how it is applied. The material in the video seems thin, but like I said you can get thicker.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nEpVb-MqBU

I think it may work what is the cost per sq ft?

On wooden & aluminum drift boats in the 70,s we used thin Coat of Gluv-it on the bottom in Oregon, they would slide off the rocks and it seemed to prevent damage. Plus we used to launch boats off the road down banks and they slid well!

What does "peal on" mean?

Quote Originally Posted by pipercub View Post
    What does "peal on" mean?
    Just a sticky back. You have to peal off a wax paper that protects the glued portion of the UHMW. I think that's the word the company used. I questioned the defn. when I wrote it, so good question. Maybe there's a better word to describe it? Check out the video & it'll make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by kk alaska View Post
    On wooden & aluminum drift boats in the 70,s we used thin Coat of Gluv-it on the bottom in Oregon, they would slide off the rocks and it seemed to prevent damage. Plus we used to launch boats off the road down banks and they slid well!
    Another product that one drift boat guide likes better than Coat-it (same Co. that makes Gluv-it) & has a very low coefficient of friction is Wearlon Wetlander Topcoat.

His concluded review on an aluminum drift boat:

"My final analysis: Wearlon Wetlander Top Coat is an excellent super low friction, extremely tough, highly flexible, superb bottom coating. Manufactures and boat builders need to take notice. And if you need a new bottom, consider using Wetlander for your next application as an alternative to the current products available on the market. If I had to come up with one word that describes this coating; it would be: “Outstanding!”

Testing & Comparison:
    Pictures included are of recently applied Coat-It; and the boat was run for only 6 trips on the Klickitat River in low water conditions. The damage shown is severe and beyond patching. The coating was removed where lifted, missing or broken; ground smooth with no leading sharp edges, then hand-sanded to scuff the entire surface in preparation for the new coating.

Twice the number of trips; same river section, and pictures of the bottom re-coated with the Wearlon Wetlander Top Coat. It looks and feels like it was just applied !
    This bottom coating proved superior and outperformed the commonly used product in everyway possible."

Anybody try this stuff? It would be nice to do a side x side field test comparing these 5 different products (traditional UHWM, peal on UHWM, Coat-It, Gluv-It & Wearlon. Might be a project in the works for some researcher.

when impacting rocks or shallow gravel riffles, glue by itself will never hold up. one trip, your boat would be like a reptile shedding a layer of skin. waste of money if you ask me.

Yeah......I truly can't see how "sticky back" glue alone would keep this stuff on for any length of time......
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

They been gluing uhmw on glass and aluminum hulls for over 10 years with great success. I'm surprised none of you have stumbled onto "a source", took about 2 minutes of googling!

Mike

there is a few questions that needs a answer with a paddle camoe the water force is small but with a motor the force is a lot greater will it hold up under the constant force of water aganst it , [ edge peal back ] would like to see some of the jobs that were completed a fer years back on a power boat I know the ALUM. strips on the bottom of a canoe [ alum canoe ] will hold up fore many years as I have one with them , the strips are realy channel running the bottom of the canoe bolted an glued to the bottom an no leaks so far 35 years an countin [ +/_ a little ,
    SID