Thread: Bad News For Campers

Default Bad News For Campers

FYI
    Just got this info from a friend.
    As of today all federal run CG's are to be closed due to the Govt. shutdown.
    This effects Quartz, Cooper Creek, Russian etc on the KP.
    If you were heading down for some trout fishin' and were planning to camp you will need to find other alternatives.
    If you're already in one of the effected CG's they are giving you 48hrs to vacate.

Notice that congress' paychecks didn't stop. They're oh-so essential after all!

Hey they work real hard at screwing things up for the rest of us! Just be glad you don't work them them, federal workers will get paid with IOU's…….further more I would like to point out the majority of us put them in office to begin with.

Thanks for the update. Looks like camping on the bank.

Wow, talk about a bummer.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Notice that congress' paychecks didn't stop. They're oh-so essential after all!
    My wife is a Senate staffer. She's at work and not getting paid until further notice.
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

My daughter-in-law is also a senate staffer, will have to ask her about that...........

just got a message on my phone that our cabin rental on engineer lake is canceled for this weekend. the message said that they will be patrolling the cabins to make sure that no one is using them and they they do not want to issue fines but will if need be.

does anyone know if the boat launches on Skilak lake are closed as well? I guess i will go for a drive tonight and see for myself before i bring the kids and camping gear along. I'm going to have some disappointed kids this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye Scott View Post
    just got a message on my phone that our cabin rental on engineer lake is canceled for this weekend. the message said that they will be patrolling the cabins to make sure that no one is using them and they they do not want to issue fines but will if need be.

does anyone know if the boat launches on Skilak lake are closed as well? I guess i will go for a drive tonight and see for myself before i bring the kids and camping gear along. I'm going to have some disappointed kids this weekend.
    The feds never make sense. Why not keep the cabins open and make money, which they need. If they are going to have people patrolling out there anyways, why not take your money and let you use the cabin? State Parks manages the Upper and Lower Skilak boat launches, so you will be fine.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Quote Originally Posted by Erik in AK View Post
    My wife is a Senate staffer. She's at work and not getting paid until further notice.
    I was just listening to a radio talk show. Caller stated that he had been calling senator Begich on a regular basis but that today his call went to voice mail that announced the office was closed due to the government shut down. He then stated that he called both senator Murkowski's and congressman Young's offices. Both those calls were answered..their offices are staffed..and as you say, Erik, working without pay until further notice. I don't want to get all political....but I think the simple facts speak volumes about our representation.

Hard for me to grasp that people would pay anything to camp, and even more weird, that people would willingly subject themselves to "So-called" camping near other humans.

Quote Originally Posted by FishGod View Post
    The feds never make sense. Why not keep the cabins open and make money, which they need. If they are going to have people patrolling out there anyways, why not take your money and let you use the cabin? State Parks manages the Upper and Lower Skilak boat launches, so you will be fine.
    Had to correct myself. State Parks does not manage the Upper and Lower Skilak Boat launch.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

What amazes me is that they don't have the money to keep them open yet they seem to have the money to use extra man power to enforce it stays closed.

Quote Originally Posted by AllAlaskan View Post
    What amazes me is that they don't have the money to keep them open yet they seem to have the money to use extra man power to enforce it stays closed.
    You just don't understand government logic.
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

I dont think the government understands government logic lol.

I went canoeing, fishing and camping this past weekend and it was great! no boogeymen in the forest waiting to give me a ticket for catching a MONSTER(to big for the camera) dolly. I was thinking about staying in one of the cabins elsewhere but as someone posted earlier, they are the easiest to patrol/notice if someone is there.

Quote Originally Posted by FishGod View Post
    The federal government ceased to make sense a long, long time ago.

now you see how much the fed. goverment is controling our lives when they shut down an don't do a thing parks , rivers, camp grounds, hunting an fishing , berry picking , traping , jst going into the woods, an this is not bad yet

Default The king's property

From http://www.mainecoastguide.com/sidebars/masts.html
    "By about 1650, the colonists in America had established a flourishing trade in masts, lumber, and other naval stores to Europe and the Caribbean. They were not pleased when the British Admiralty awoke to the fact that its supply of mast trees in North America was in danger. In 1685, a Surveyor of Pines and Timber was appointed to survey the Maine woods “within 10 miles of any navigable waterway” and mark all suitable trees with “the king’s broad arrow,” the symbol used since early times to designate Royal Navy property. Any “trees of the diameter of twenty-four inches and upwards at twelve inches from the ground” with a yard of height for each inch of diameter at the butt was blazed with the broad arrow. Woe to anyone who damaged or stole the king’s property. The fine was £100! The Broad Arrow Policy was observed with all the enthusiasm that greeted Prohibition more than two centuries later, and the same native ingenuity was applied to circumvent it.
    Mast trees were partially burned in mysterious fires or splintered in unusual gales. Loopholes apparently excluded certain properties, whose great pines were promptly felled and sawn into profitable lumber. And never, under any circumstances, would the floorboards of any colonial home exceed 23 inches in width. The law was tightened again and again, but still the king’s pines continued to disappear..."

http://ccrpa.org/km/King's%20Mark%20...9;s%20Mark.htm
    "In 1761, the Crown decided that future land grants restricted the cutting of timber over 24 inches in diameter. The colonists considered the White Pine on their land their own important economic asset, and ignored, circumvented or in one case rebelled against this. In New Hampshire, The Pine Tree Riot of 1772 protested the law that made settlers pay for the right to cut pines on there own land. It was considered a form of taxation..."