Thread: this boat seems underpowered????

Default this boat seems underpowered????

In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

not reallly - my 27' Maxweld is 11,000 lbs and cruises around 20k with single KAD43 (230hp), so this one is likely to cruise a bit faster. If that is not fast enough for you then yes, it is under powered.

Probably not with twins.. But.. do you really want to deal with twin diesels?

I had a 22 seasport with the 170 horse KAD32 and it was underpowered with a couple guys and fish. I'm not worried about speed, but power with a modest load and in a big following sea is a priority. Sounds like not an issue?

I disagree it isn't under powered, its over priced.

My inlaws just bought a 1994 36'x12' Navigator Flybridge for about $65k, pristine condition twin 200hp volvo straight shaft diesels.

Regarding the power of the Seasport my friend has a Seasport 27 Navigator with a single 200hp volvo duoprop. That is 40 less hp than the boat in question. But any boat in the $40k price range demands a propper sea trial and survey. So load up the family to try out a $100k boat is reasonable. Diesel HP is not equal to gas engine HP.

Sobie2

Quote Originally Posted by Sobie2 View Post
    I disagree it isn't under powered, its over priced.

My inlaws just bought a 1994 36'x12' Navigator Flybridge for about $65k, pristine condition twin 200hp volvo straight shaft diesels.

Regarding the power of the Seasport my friend has a Seasport 27 Navigator with a single 200hp volvo duoprop. That is 40 less hp than the boat in question. But any boat in the $40k price range demands a propper sea trial and survey. So load up the family to try out a $100k boat is reasonable. Diesel HP is not equal to gas engine HP.

Sobie2
    Your inlaws know a thing or two about boats, if I recall correctly.

Diesels are about torque, not horse power. Stating HP after a diesel is misleading if one lacks proper understanding, torque is the amount of force it takes to rotate an object such as a propeller and it is done more efficiently with torque than with HP. I am not familiar with those particular engines per-se' but, I would guess that they likely produce double or more the amount of torque as HP.

If it were me i would stay away run from those merc diesels/drives! known POS they don't make them anymore. , don't believe me join up on boatdiesel.com and see for yourself. By the way almosr all of the volvo 42's installed in the cordova fleet blew up with very little time on them.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by tlingitwarrior View Post
    Your inlaws know a thing or two about boats, if I recall correctly.
    Yep if an accredited marine surveyor likes it, and buys it, it has to be good!

Yesterday afternoon we cruised from Harris Harbor around the backside of Douglas to Auke Bay. It was great. 17-18kts cruise, tops out at 24knots.

Sobie2