Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bucks only starting November 1

Default Bucks only starting November 1

Had our trip booked for November with a charter and they just emailed us and said Fish and Game said they are going to restrict deer take this season to bucks only (still allowed 5 per person) from November 1st till the end of the season.
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Which area, Roger? Unit 6? (Prince William Sound)

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Which area, Roger? Unit 6? (Prince William Sound)
    Sorry Brian yep Unit 6 P.W.S

Always bucks only here.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I think that is a very good decision by the ADFG.

Its not posted on ADFG. Who told you it is buck only?
    ďDon't expect to build up the weak by pulling down the strong." ~Calvin Coolidge~

For fish and game to send out letters there has to be an EO issued and at this point one has not been issued...... Called my transporter and he hasn't heard anything like that.... More internet BS at this point.
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

Assuming this isn't BS:

On one hand I like the fact that they are responding to the current low numbers. On the other hand I would prefer to see them suspend shooting from a boat and same day airborne or just shorten the season. This is one of the few hunts in Alaska that doesn't require judging of any sort (antlers, horns, cubs etc.) which is why I enjoy it so much. One year isn't such a big deal but I don't like the trend.

Iím planning a trip here in 2 weeks so ill get my huntingin before the change. If this is true, it will help preserve this hunt foryears to come. I have been out at the end of November before and well itíspretty easy beach hunting. I would think that is when majority of the does arekilled anyways. Iíll be keeping an eye out for an EO.

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    Always bucks only here.
    Not after Oct 1, pg 55 in the ADFG reg book lists it goes to "any deer" 1 October

Quote Originally Posted by akmike30 View Post
    For fish and game to send out letters there has to be an EO issued and at this point one has not been issued...... Called my transporter and he hasn't heard anything like that.... More internet BS at this point.
    Aquetec out of Whittier We have the week of Nov 6 th booked on the Kathy G. They called our group and told us of the change and said because it was short notice on F&G that they would refund our group unless bucks only did not matter.

Somewhere between lucky and extremely lucky

Quote Originally Posted by Meanderthal View Post
    Assuming this isn't BS:

On one hand I like the fact that they are responding to the current low numbers. On the other hand I would prefer to see them suspend shooting from a boat and same day airborne or just shorten the season. This is one of the few hunts in Alaska that doesn't require judging of any sort (antlers, horns, cubs etc.) which is why I enjoy it so much. One year isn't such a big deal but I don't like the trend.
    Wow. Just wow.
    Experience is the name every one gives to their mistakes. ~Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by sockeye1 View Post
    Wow. Just wow.
    Care to elaborate?

Today I talked to a friend who returned Sunday after spending 8 days in Uganik bay. Very few Deer. Not really surprising after several bad winters. Season should go to one deer or close altogether was his suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by Meanderthal View Post

Well, you do have to determine whether it's a deer or not. That's a challenge for some.

Quote Originally Posted by L. G. View Post
    Well, you do have to determine whether it's a deer or not. That's a challenge for some.
    Thus my love of blaze orange in SE. The deer don't care, and if someone shoots at me while I'm wearing blaze, I am legally justified in shooting back

For you non believers they just posted the E.O
    http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/ap...10-02-2013.pdf

PRESS RELEASE For Immediate Release: October 2, 2013
    CONTACT: Charlotte Westing Area Wildlife Biologist (907) 424-3215 charlotte.westing@alaska.gov
    Doe season to close early in Prince William Sound
    (Cordova)- The season for doe deer in Prince William Sound will close at 11:59, October 31. The season for buck deer remains unchanged and will close December 31. Extraordinary snowfall during the 2011-12 winter resulted in estimated winter mortality in excess of 50% in eastern Prince William Sound (PWS) and 70% in western PWS. Deer pellet counts from 2012 and 2013 support these estimates.
    Heavy snowfall often occurs in early winter and concentrates deer on and near beaches in PWS, where they are vulnerable to heavy harvest by boat-based hunters. Reducing the harvest to bucks during this time will allow for the retention of more breeding females and help the population recover faster.
    The chairs and members of Advisory Committees in Prince William Sound and many stakeholders have been consulted regarding this closure and there is widespread support for this action. The federal season will close concurrently to allow for reduced regulatory complexity and consistency regardless of land status.
    The season and bag limit for buck deer remains unchanged and will close December 31. Hunters are reminded to leave evidence of sex naturally attached to all harvested deer.
    ###

Of course I identify deer, just like I determine bull caribou, 50+ moose or bear without cubs. I was commenting on what regulations I would prefer to see implemented to meet management objectives and nothing more.

The management philosophy for unit 6 deer is compatible with liberal regulations which I consider to be a good thing. The hunt has consistantly exceeded 50% success with a ratio better than 1 deer per hunter while staying well under it's maximum sustainable yield of 3000 deer per year and it's minimum buck/doe ratio of 60/40.

Now that the snowpocalpse of 2011-2012 knocked the population way down it appears to be time for temporary adjustment of the regulations. My concern is that we'll see a long term fix to a short term problem. It's hard not to be cynical if you pay any attention to what government is up to these days.

As anything Roger you not believe until you see prove and the EO has been issued. This is a good thing. I hope they shut it down first of dec like they did last year. Thank you,
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

As anything Roger you not believe until you see prove and the EO has been issued. This is a good thing. I hope they shut it down first of dec like they did last year. Thank you,
    Sorry man wasn't saying anything bad about you just used your quote I agree with you 100% on both

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast