Thread: bulls and boars and such...

Default bulls and boars and such...

been in the field for about three weeks. a bull moose a decent brown bear, and the grizzly of my life later i finally get a shower and a couple days rest before my last two brown bear hunts. hope everyones season is going exactly as they would like...cant complain here. heres a couple pics:

099.jpg051.jpg
    this clients boar will go 8.8 or so and sports a 25+ inch noggin, and his bull is crazy weird, gross' 218 (didnt even begin to net score him...he's one huge deduction! ) and is right at 70 inches wide...not bad results for a classic western alaska combo hunt...

005.jpg031.jpghere's my other clients grizzly...this is possibly the bear of my career to date. he's an honest grizzly, and also an honest nine foot six inches. his skull is a good bit over 27 inches, and will likely be top ten or twenty all time in the WORLD after the sixty day drying period..we'll see how much he shrinks. regardless (and i could care less about record books personally) he's a truly huge grizzly, and was killed quite a ways from the nearest fish river. an ivory clawed old giant with tons of teeth wear, and more scar tissue from fights than i've ever seen. we killed him close (75 yrds) and he never knew we were there. what a great way for such a bear to go. theres a good chance i'll never stalk another grizzly like him...or see one for that matter.

Looks like you sure wrapped up the year with a bang. Those are some nice bears and a great moose but that grizzly is something else, good job!

Impressed by the griz legs. Sure look long. That would add to the square. To keep the client numbers up, a good bear guide (the reg. guide) needs a book animal now and then. Helps to have a hard working asst guide. I suspect your getting a rep along with the guide you work for, Zach.
    So was the big one far enough away from salmon streams he wouldn't have been feeding there at times?
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

i would normally say that he'd have a few fish in his travels being an older boar (they tend to roam more) in the general area that he was in...but the drainage he came from is lots of miles from any fish in numbers...but, he just didnt have any fish bear odor. strong boar smell obviously, but no fish. a fish bear in the berries in late september still smells like a fish bear ya know. i was surprised. he's old...and obviously has genetics, cause he comes from excellent moose country...not excellent bear country, its good grizzly country, but theyre definitely not concentrated by any means. its pretty remote and has very little pressure, so i attribute his bulk to great genes and old age. the bear was super old.

As fine a bear as I'll ever see. That bears life trials can only be imagined.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I'd be interested to hear how old he ends up being. The bear I took last fall up on the slope was 19 years old, squared 7'6" with a skull just under 23". It would be interesting to see how they differ in the age to size ratio. Thanks for the periodic season update posts. Always enjoy them.

AZinAK

Congrats! Thanks for the great pictures! That is truly an old warrior of a bear!

You got the big one north of the 62nd parallel or where the line is? Best time
    Of year to be out with the changing colors and a sense of urgency in the air....I miss it.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Well done sir, you are stacking up many great memories for the rocking chair years!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    You got the big one north of the 62nd parallel or where the line is? Best time
    Of year to be out with the changing colors and a sense of urgency in the air....I miss it.
    sorry jake...i was out getting miserable in the late fall weather nah he wasnt right on the line...but he wasnt north of it like your thinkin...sorry so vauge, you know how it is. and yeah man...i bet you do. its my saviour. i couldnt imagine what it would be like to not be out there every season...it gets its hooks in you deep when you love it...and i imagine you loved it. anyway, hope your doing good on any new endeavors your up to its gotta be awsome spending so much more time with the family...i'm not home yet, just got done with four months. i saw my wife for just enough time to take her moose hunting in that whole time. i miss her and my pups in the worst kinda way right now.

I was just wondering how he was gonna be scored as a grizz was my question on the line.
    Have a fun "off" season!
    Master guide 212

JAKE, that pack looks as tall as you are. Hope it doesn't weigh as much as you do.LOL

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    I was just wondering how he was gonna be scored as a grizz was my question on the line.
    Have a fun "off" season!
    Ah...my bad jake, sorry I assumed your question was asking if he came from way up north or just right over the line. He was well above the 62 nd and will be scored as a grizzly by an oficial bc scorer after drying

Lol ya man I was confused for a sec!
    Master guide 212