Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grandson needs help

Default Grandson needs help

My grandson was given some reloading gear to get him started. He just loves it. I was over at his house last night and was real impressed. He asked about primers and powder to reload jacketed 38 ammo. So far he's used Bulleye with Remington primers to load wadcutters but had only been given a small supply His reloading book is a very old Sierra and doen't show much info.Does anyone have a book, primers etc, they can spare I'll gladly reimburse you for it. The kid is a great boy and is on the dive and swim team placed 5th in state last year and I think he'll be top 3 this year. It's been over 20 years since I reloaded and never did pistols so I can't help much.You can email me at triumph.ak@gmail.com Many thanks.

Roland, not sure where you are but I know of a few places you can get primers right now retail, also most of the powder manufacturers have some data on their websites. One of the local shops here in Kenai stocks the free books the powder manufacturers put out too. I just got a free book in the mail from Alliant. If your willing to pay for a book, all the local stores have them in stock here in Kenai, no shortage there last time I looked.

Thanks limon32, Ill check that all out. rep points will be sent

If you are in anchorage I can get him fixed up with some cast semi wadcutters if he needs more projectiles. I'll check my stuff, I may have some spare primers for a young man as well.

It will be on the house for the young man BTW, much worse hobbies for a teenaged boy to get into and all.
    Last edited by The Kid; 09-30-2013 at 21:53. Reason: Add info.

I have some spare stuff for loading 38spl I'll donate if you can figure out how to get it to him. I've got about 1/2lb of AA5 and 300 win sp primers he can have to get him started. I don't shoot jacketed pistol so I don't have any of those but I cast a 152 gr swc and I have a double handful of those if he wants. Also ,I have a spare AA manual and plenty of spare cases if he needs some of those as well. I live in Chugiak but don't know where you or your grandson are located and can't mail the powder or primers. So, if there's some way to get this stuff to you, it's yours. Send PM if interested. The 38spl is special to me as it's what I started loading for about 50 years ago. Good luck. Buck

Where are ya???

I got a bunch of 38 158g JHP gathering dust around here, 500 I think, ainít looked it ages.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Good for your grandson. I started reloading as a teen in the 50s with a Herters press, etc. I don't have .38, but if I did I would donate.
    NRA Lifetime Member

Good job Grandpa supporting a youngster! How old is this little bundle anyway? How about a short list of what he has to work with so far for equipment??? Never know what Santa may find???
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    Roland, not sure where you are but I know of a few places you can get primers right now retail, also most of the powder manufacturers have some data on their websites. One of the local shops here in Kenai stocks the free books the powder manufacturers put out too. I just got a free book in the mail from Alliant. If your willing to pay for a book, all the local stores have them in stock here in Kenai, no shortage there last time I looked.
    Hi, Limon, I live in Soldotna. I bought a Hornady reloading book 8th edition for him yesterday. It's factory sealed so I'll wait till I see him and let him open it. No primers or powder though. Maybe next week I was told.

Quote Originally Posted by Roland on the River View Post
    Hi, Limon, I live in Soldotna. I bought a Hornady reloading book 8th edition for him yesterday. It's factory sealed so I'll wait till I see him and let him open it. No primers or powder though. Maybe next week I was told.
    PM me his address and I'll send some bullets down.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I don't have anything in particular that I can spare personally, BUT, I'm headed down to the Denver area in 2 weeks to grab my stuff and move back up permanently. Last time I was at the local Cabela's, they were pretty well set for SP primers and I have a connection to get powder in the area there. I'm planning to load up with my max to drive back through Canada if I can find enough. If you want something, let me know. I'll see what I can do. At least then you don't have to pay the shipping charges.

Hi Roland.... Have you heard about the "Ammo Man" over off of Ciechanski? From what I hear he has a lot of pistol hand loading components.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Really glad to hear of another youngster taking the plunge into our reloading "affliction"! You said that you have and older Sierra and a recent Hornady manual. These are good but could I please recommend a couple more. Lyman's 49th and ABC's of Reloading. I started with earlier versions of these two books many, many years ago and they gave me a very solid foundation for my "affliction". Please get these for your grandson and have him read each of them three times. The bullet manufacturer manuals are pretty good but these manuals are much, much more informative. I can't stress enough that a solid foundation of knowlege is the single most important component in hand loading.

Dan

http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/s...2462/cat100165

http://www.amazon.com/The-ABCs-Of-Re...der_1440213968

I could spare a couple hundred small pistol primers, 50 or so 38 special brass, and some powder, (unique or 2400) to help a young guy getting started. Roland, If you make it up to the valley, give me a shout.

Thanks to all the valuable info posted. To anyone from the Kenai area who make trips to Anchorage within the next month or so and woud'nt mind meeting up with some folks offering some goodies for my grandson send me a PM and we'll try to coordinate things. again thanks to everyone.

Roland I have .75 lb of Bullseye and 1000 or so small pistol primers your grandson is welcome to. Its good to hear that the younger generation is pursuing reloading.

HomerDAVE from Homer just PM me he will be in Anchorage weekend of OCT 12/13 if some of you guys can meet up at a general location (maybe diamond mall as a suggestion ) he would be glad to haul them down for the kid. Let me know by PM, email triumph.ak@gmail.com or cell 830-3006. Many thanks.

I have no extra powder or primers right now so I just printed a shipping label and you will be getting a box in the mail from me next week sometime.

There are 500 .357Ē 158gJHP in there and I dumped in about 3-400 rounds of 38 brass, tell him to put it to good use! The stuff has been sitting for years so I ran it all through the tumbler to loose the copper tarnish and lead chalk , the stuff stuck in some of the hollow points is just walnut shell tumbler media so pick it out and have fun.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Homer Dave let me know when and where I can meet with you on Sat or Sun to drop off some things for the Lad. Sun morning is not good for me but most any other time will be fine. I live in Chugiak but will drive to south Anch. Thanks Buck

I don't care what anybody says about yall........there are some GREAT guys on here...!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast