Thread: 8.1 496

Default 8.1 496

I'm wondering is anyone carries something to trouble shoot the efi engines when they don't start. Like if the cam sensor quit
    working how would you know? Is ther something you can connect to the computer when your out to trouble shoot it?
    That doesn't cost big $$$.
    G. Transue

I think they use a labtop and special software.
    I would ask the company that built the boat what they recommend you use. My granddaughter car did not start and had no code telling me what the problem was so I had to trouble shoot it the old fashion way by eliminating the ignition, fuel pump etc to find the problem. What have you check so far? problem.

Either a handheld rinda techmate or rinda diacom for your laptop

Greg,
    I carry Skip's phone #, he-he-he! (Couldn't help myself!)
    BK

Quote Originally Posted by akgravelpumper View Post
    Either a handheld rinda techmate or rinda diacom for your laptop
    I wound up getting the Diacom after the techmate code checker showed no codes on my 5.7 efi a few years back. The laptop program worked great and showed the problem was the oil pressure switch which threw it into rpm reduction mode. No code since it was performing as intended. The Diacom isn't cheap though. The code checker is so maybe you'd get lucky going cheap with it first. You can get them online.

btw what's your symptoms? It may be easy to check the normal sensors to see if they're a problem. Some are just switches like the oil pressure switch and just disconnecting it takes it out of rpm reduction mode. Since it's a normally closed switch and opens on good oil pressure so does the trick.

The handheld is nice for something to leave in the boat for long trips and quick checks but the laptop based program is much more powerful although only as rugged as your laptop. The handheld is also cheaper. Make sure you get the right cable for your motor if you buy one.