Thread: Denali Highway Closure?

Default Denali Highway Closure?

I was wondering if anyone knows where to look to see when the Denali Highway will be closed for the winter. My son and I are thinking of doing a quick bear/ptarmigan trip this coming weekend or the following weekend. Also what are the current conditions?
    Thanks,
    Patrick

I don't think they close it as much as they stop providing road maintenance and it becomes travel at your own risk. You should be fine just plan to travel within your limits. Good tires and a good vehicle are a must. I was just up on the Paxon side and the roads were clear. Be safe and get you a moose muncher.
    Steve

The Denali Highway will be plowed and maintained to October 15th this year. Any travel after the 15th, and a lot of snow, could lock you in here for the winter, which would be great, as we could use the help! You can go to our website to check out the snow on the ground under our 'webcam' page. www.alpinecreeklodge.com Maclaren River Lodge also has a webcam for that side of the highway. Every year is different. We drove out Jan 1st 3 years ago with our vehicles. Last year it was mid-November. Another year it was late October, and yet another in early December. So you just never know. If you have a set of chains, it can help a bunch!
    Claude
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

Thanks for the info guys. Claude, I will bookmark your site.
    Patrick