Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where To Live?

Default Where To Live?

I've been following these forums for a while and I believe this group is the perfect place to post this question. I'm a couple of years away from retirement and looking to relocate to SE Alaska. I want to live on the water and be able to have my boat in front of the house or in a marina close by if this is not possible. I'm looking for an area with excellent, relatively non-crowded, close by fishing for Salmon, Halibut, bottom fish, shrimping, crabbing etc. Calmer waters would be a plus. The community needs to be large enough to keep my wife happy with restaurants and shopping. I'm currently looking at Sitka, Ketchikan and Juneau. What are peoples thoughts on these areas? What other communities should I consider? Thanks in advance for any comments.

Quote Originally Posted by BAH468 View Post
    ...relatively non-crowded, close by fishing for Salmon, Halibut, bottom fish, shrimping, crabbing etc...community...large enough to keep my wife happy with restaurants and shopping...Sitka, Ketchikan and Juneau....
    You pretty nailed it down with restaurants and shopping on the list. Without that, I'd vote for Petersberg or Wrangell.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    You pretty nailed it down with restaurants and shopping on the list. Without that, I'd vote for Petersberg or Wrangell.
    I would agree with BB. Everything you wanted on your list is in Petersburg or Wrangell but not quite the shopping and restaurants to keep the lady happy!! Alaska air flies in there though, so might be able to compromise with her

Quote Originally Posted by BAH468 View Post
    The community needs to be large enough to keep my wife happy with restaurants and shopping.
    I would emphasize the wife and for that reason only I would say Juneau. Ketchikan only has one hardware store, Walmart, and a couple of decent restaurants. Whereas Juneau, has everything including Fred Meyers! Wishing Ketchikan had a Freddies...

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Exactly. Petersburg and Wrangell would be tops on my list. Sitka would likely be next, as it has a few restaurants (and a brewery!) but still is a small town. Juneau and Ketchikan would be further down the list, but likely better for the wife. Better yet, go with Petersburg or Wrangell and save up the money to send the wife to Seattle for a shopping/fun trip 3 times per year. Perfect!

Not many places that you can get good watefront property with a dock. I know of a place in Craig that would be perfect for you. About 725k. Has a garage for the boat, walk in freezer, and a big dock. Friend of mine is selling it. A steal, IMO. As I said, ocean waterfront with a dock is becoming scarce and plenty of people like you are willing to pay for it. http://gatewaycityrealty.com/index.p...nicholas_road/

Default weather

might want to consider weather, I think Ketchikan gets a lot more rain than Juneau or Sitka.

hi bah68. Great minds think alike my friend. Im actually in the process of doing the very same thing my-self. Hope your search goes well. The people on this site have been invaluable to me , helping ,answering and pointing me in the right direction for all my questions. Your in the right place. Funny enough , by my estimation , there are 4-5 people thinking of the very same move !! I'm quite sure you will find exactly what your looking for here!...................Good luck from Co Down , Ireland

Thanks for the input! How do the runs to the fishing areas compare in these different areas? Are the seas significantly rougher around Sitka? Would you eliminate any of the places mentioned for any reason? 270ti, I really like that house and the price is right.

Search Mickys posts, and you'll learn more than you ever wanted to know about fishing in SE AK.

You don't come to SE AK for the fine dining and the shopping. That's what a flight to Seattle is for.

Most Alaskans when they retire play snowbirds and winter in Nevada.

If you are planning to be a full time resident that has a significant effect on where I would recommend you move to. So will you be a snowbird or full timer?

Sobie2

Quote Originally Posted by titobandito View Post
    might want to consider weather, I think Ketchikan gets a lot more rain than Juneau or Sitka.
    Years ago when I started visiting Alaska and have found my home away from home on Prince of Wales Island, just west of Ketchikan, I asked the lodge owner where I stay what in his opinion would be the Top 10 reasons for me to move to SE Alaska and what would the Top 10 Reasons be for me to NOT move there. He quickly dismissed my "Top 10" by saying there is no Top 10 ...either way!.....there's only one......I got really excited at this prospect and anxiously awaited for the other shoe to drop.

There's only one - he says - "RAIN! either you can take it or you can't."

to be precise or thereabouts - One Foot of rain every month. it breaks down to 23 days a month with rain or snow in winter....3 days with no rain but cloudy and 3-4 days of Sun to partial sun.

The food you get out of the ocean beats ALL the restaurant fare....unless Pizza is your thing. There is A pizzeria on the Island, and two diners with great grub and a real restaurant as well. Soooo you gotta ask yourself, can my wife handle that much rain in order for me to live the fisherman's dream?

Otherwise pick Belize.

I currently live in Nevada! The plan is to sell the Verdi, Nevada house and live in Alaska for a bit over half the year. For the remainder of the year I'll probably split my time between some places we have in California. I love Nevada, but it would be tough financially and maintenace wise to keep the Nevada house and spend summers in Alaska.

Quote Originally Posted by titobandito View Post
    I think Ketchikan gets a lot more rain than Juneau or Sitka.
    But, as my co-worker from KTN tells me, there are more sunny days in KTN.

Juneau's not a bad choice. Pretty good balance of big city amenities: fishing, hunting, skiing, trails, arts, public recreation, private health clubs, malls, box stores, movie theaters, harbors and launch ramps, rifle range, trap/skeet range, scenery, wilderness, etc, etc.

Raised both my kids here. It'll be interesting to see if they come back after college.

As far as Wrangell goes for run time to the fishing grounds. It depends on the speed of the boat. I cruise at 28 knots. 90 percent of the king fishing is done 10 to 30 minutes from town. The longest I have ran to fish is over to Coffman Cove witch takes me 1 hour and 20 minutes or to the south end of Wrangell witch is an hour. Same goes for halibut fishing. As far as shopping goes there is some and we have a few resturants one very nice one and couple ma and pa type. But with that being said we go to Juneau and Seattle a couple times a year for a little break off of the rock.

When I was planning my move to Alaska I wanted access to the fishing but I knew I did not want to live on an island. I wanted access to the road system. I did not like the idea that if I lived on an island I would have to use a ferry every time I want to take a road trip. I ended up in Anchor Point about 20 miles from Homer.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiderunner View Post
    When I was planning my move to Alaska I wanted access to the fishing but I knew I did not want to live on an island. I wanted access to the road system. I did not like the idea that if I lived on an island I would have to use a ferry every time I want to take a road trip. I ended up in Anchor Point about 20 miles from Homer.
    After living in the bush in Dillingham for 8 years, (talk about isolated) I am extremely enjoying Juneau and all of SE......then again, I've heard little to no grumping about Homer area either. Good salt access, snow if you like that, and small town. I'll be in SE for the forseeable future though, the diversity is hard to beat, and Jet Service in most major towns makes getting out okay, few price deals, but at least consistent service.

Thanks guys. Any towns in SE to avoid for any reason such as rough water or long runs to fishing grounds? How is SE Alaska for mosquitos? Thoughts on Craig?

I don't think you'll find long runs required to get to good fishing anywhere here in SE. Mosquitoes? Nothing like what they have in the interior, that's for sure! You can always find mosquitoes if you go inland, but near the salt water they really thin out. Thoughts on Craig - well, going back to your original post - "The community needs to be large enough to keep my wife happy with restaurants and shopping." - She won't find restaurant or shopping happiness there, but she'd only have to take a boat ride to Ketchikan and then a plane trip to Seattle to find those things. Craig is _small_ town SE Alaska. Visit there before considering moving. It's a different world than what you're used to. Even the "big city" in SE Alaska is a small town! Something to bear in mind about life in SE is that you cannot just jump in the car and drive to a nearby town to get what you want like you can Outside - for the most part, you make do with what your community offers unless you want to take a boat or plane trip - and sometimes the weather will say NO to that kind of travel.

Visiting any of the places where you might consider living is a no-brainer prerequisite IMHO.

As for me, Craig (and any/all of POW) would fit all of my needs. For my wife? Don't believe the move will ever happen. Hence the one or two weeks a year of living in AK.

I am getting nearer to 60 than not and I can honestly say that Craig is home to some of the most genuine human beings I have ever met and learned to call friends. When I visit with folks it tends to go longer than " hi, how are ya?" .

When I get back to the Salt Lake Valley the shock is unnerving. Traffic like some mad stampede of 300,000 crazed Wildebeests swarming across an African plain that you've watched on NatGeo. Downright scary. But it is where I live. Makes me treasure the SE AK island life all the more when I'm there and why I count it down every year like a kid waiting for Christmas. I start packing in June for the fall trip! Lol!!!

with your plans of summers there and winters away, you can't hardly go wrong with any of the places mentioned.

Good luck!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast