Thread: Two teenager's first unsupervised moose hunt.

Default Two teenager's first unsupervised moose hunt.

Our sixteen year old grandson and his buddy, who because of the flood in Galena, is also a housemate, decided they were woodsy enough to do a hunt by themselves.

They loaded their gear in a 16 ft. open jet boat and journeyed forth down the Yukon River. They couldn’t find the channel to get into the small lake they intended to hunt so they opted for plan B which was to continue down river a short ways and hunt a major slough. By the time they found a place to camp it was getting dark so they landed the boat and made camp. There camping spot was in an open area in the willows probably next to a game trail. Knowing my Grandson, I’m confident there were some cow and bull calls made while they were pitching camp.

They ate some dry food and were asleep by 8:30.

Grandson woke up to the sound of sticks breaking. He said “Buddy, did you hear that?” Wake up; this was around 11:00PM.

They then heard a bull grunt and then a cow call. They thought this was “fun and games” because the moose weren’t too close. Then one of the moose ran by real close to the tent. Now it was no longer fun and games. Grandson’s buddy said “We were afraid they were going to do something to us”. They hunkered down in their sleeping bags and listened to the bull grunt and blow snot. They both had rifles in the tent (Grandpa knew they would), so it was decided Grandson would fire a round in theair. He shot through the tent; of course the flash was blinding not to speak of the noise. The percussion turned on Grandson’s head lampin his fanny pack and for a moment they thought the tent was on fire. The good thing was, they could hear the moose breaking brush running away. They decided they would go sit in the boat for a while. This is when Grandson called his father on the satellite phone.

This was the gist of the phone call to my son, the boy’s father.

Grandson’s father was down at the barge landing waiting for some of his cargo to be off loaded from the barge. Grandson had borrowed our satellite phone and at 11:23 PM Dad got a call “So Dad, what are you doing?” Dad…”Oh not much, I’m at the landing waiting for our fish tote to be offloaded”. “What is up with you?” “Oh we are sleeping in the boat”. Dad… “So why are you in the boat?” “Oh Dad, it was so scary!! We had a bull on one side of the tent and a cow onthe other. The bull was REALLY close and he was grunting and snorting and really mad!!” “We just hunkered down in our sleeping bags and waited for the blows.” Dad asked “So how close was he?” About two yards Grandson says. My buddy said “you have to shoot to scare it away.” “So I shot up in the air. I’msorry I made a hole in your tent.” Theythen waited a couple minutes and then took off for the boat. Dad said to put the seats up front and get their sleeping bags and

get under a tarp. When they didn’t hear the moose close, they made a mad dash for tent,
    got their sleeping bags and ran back to the boat. [End of phone conversation]

They decided maybe they would go back and sleep in the tent even with a large hole (caused by a rifle round) in it. When they got to the tent they could smell moose so they decided to go back and sleep in the boat. They had a warm but very uncomfortable night but felt safe in the boat. Grandson’s buddy said “It was the longest night of my life”. He looked at his watch at 6:30 and thought only one more hour until sunrise! (actually it was two hours)

As it got light, they went and checked the tracks around the tent and they were CLOSE! They struck camp and headed up the slough to the river. They then checked out a lake but only saw a cow. They made a fire and had something to eat. The river was rough so they were going to wait until it calmed down but when it didn’t they decided to head home. With the jet they could get in the shallows close to the north bank but they still said it was a spooky ride home.

So went the first moose hunt for a couple village teenagers.
    Last edited by Michael Strahan; 09-30-2013 at 11:26.

Wow Galena, they hunting moose or moose hunting them? Very exciting hunt! Glad it wasn't a grizzly stalking their tent.
    “I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. “ Fred Bear

That made me LOL! I had a similar experience once when a bull was irritated at my brother's snoring in another tent...

That was a great story reminds me of some of my outings when I was a kid
    Is it opening day of duck season yet
    Member of Alaska Waterfowl Association

I often had to deal with tree squeeks as a youngster.You can hear them but never catch sight of them. I often have wished flash lights were common in my youth. Great story.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I can identify with this story!! LOL. J.

That was a great read! Thanks for posting it!

Those bulls get pretty crazy when they're looking for love. I was out filming moose yesterday and ran into this little fellow. Before I knew what was happening, he ended up right in my lap! I didn't want to move because I thought I might provoke a charge, so I stood there and he walked by within 15-20 feet. He came back and then came straight at me. I finally had to backpedal out of there! He was WAY too close!

HERE'S THE LINK to the video (for some reason I can't get the system to post a FaceBook video?)

Hopefully your grandson will catch a moose!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Thats a great account of your grandsons moose hunt and something many of us can relate to or at least parts of it!

Thanks guys………It was a fun story to write……………You are rightSolly. It is a good thing it wasn’t agriz. Nice video Mike……..That little guywas really posturing up wasn’t he.. Good thing it was you and not “Big Daddy”.
    Grandson is still somewhat spooked by “Woodsman” stories andalways has been “uncomfortable” in the dark.
    They are really goodkids and I think it is commendable they are getting out and attempting to “get-err-done”. Maybe in a couple years he will be able totake Grampa and Gramma

Great story for sure! I bet they were both about deaf from the blast - and oh the imaginations only youth can conjur up - moose, bears, monsters and such, all lurking just out of sight!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

That funny stuff. Thanks for sharing.

There ears must have been ringing for days......ouch. Sorry to hear of the tent. I was camping on the Nushagak with my wife a few years ago in late August while chasing silvers. We camped where a guide camp had been for kings so it was nice lush mowed grass.....both nights we had moose feeding within ten feet of the tent.....could feel each foot step and hear them chewing....cool, but spooky.

Thanks again for all the comments. HAPPY ENDING.......We had a week extension to our moose hunt here in 21D. People were busy with flood damage repair and the number harvested was down so they extended it. Grandson and his friend had been going out every night after school and last night (the end of the season) his friend connected. Grandson had filled his tag about three weeks ago but he was "back up". From the story, a lot of shots were fired (both rifles dry) but he was close to shore of the slough. Dad a friend and the boys went out tonight after school and with the help of planks loaded it whole into the boat. It was a nice 21+ going to be tasty, bull. They were less than 10 miles from the village.... but you needed a jet to get to it. Many of the folks here had their freezers dumped because the power was off after the flood. Volunteers went around and dumped them so people evacuated wouldn't come home to putrid as well as flooded freezers. So.....the meat is needed and will be well received by who ever the boys decide to give it to. Nothing goes to waste here.................GB

Quote Originally Posted by galenabuck View Post
    .......We had a week extension to our moose hunt here in 21D. People were busy with flood damage repair and the number harvested was down so they extended it... Many of the folks here had their freezers dumped because the power was off after the flood. Volunteers went around and dumped them so people evacuated wouldn't come home to putrid as well as flooded freezers...
    Not to deflect the thread, but I've read about several floods out your way, but usually in the spring during ice-out. I did not know you guys were flooded out this fall. Has anyone considered building on top of pilings, or is that impractical out there?

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Great story. I know what they were going thru. One guy in our group, Pedro, has to bring his own tent. He snores so loud that he inevitably brings moose into camp. It gets a little nervy when you start hearing horn on horn in the dark.

Pedro always shot his meat close to camp. }:>
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

Mike, no trouble twisting the thread at least on my part. We are still in the aftermath of the Yukon break-up flood we had in May. We were FEMA'd. I hope that isn't a cuss word. Many people didn't get any FEMA money until just lately and our last barge came in last week. Many people are scrambling to get things in order before it turns cold. This was a 500 year flood. Almost all the homes are on pilings but very few were high enough to stay dry in this gigantic flood. The river stayed jammed for three days. There was water and ice backed up for 30 miles, 10 miles wide. We have some old timers in the village and none of them could remember or even heard of a flood this bad. I think that is why they extended the hunt; for three reasons. People had to dump their freezers, they couldn't take a normal amount of time to hunt due to re-building and the harvest numbers were down in this district.