Thread: Looking for a taxidermist for antler mounts

Default Looking for a taxidermist for antler mounts

Good afternoon. I am looking for a reasonably priced taxidermist, in the Delta Junction/Fairbanks area, to put some antler mounts together for me. These are the first kills of my kids. 3 moose and 1 caribou so far. A squirrel chewed a couple points off of the one of the moose racks. Not sure if there is a remedy for this or not. Anyway, if you can make some recommendations, I would appreciate it. Thanks

Charlie Livingston did some good work for me on a caribou shoulder mount before I moved out of the area.

http://home.gci.net/~akwataxidermy/

Try yourself it is really easy and pretty cheap. Look up the the topic : velvet antler skull cap in the trophy care section. The individual poster asked how to make an antler mount and I chimed in how i learned to do it with lots of pictures making a deer skull cap antler mount. Pm if you have questions and I can walk you though it. Have the kids help and the will be even happier with it! Antlers can be fixed with a wire drilled into antler tip and then with some special epoxy clay called apoxie sculpt. Mix the two part clay and form the tip around the wire. Paint to match with water based latex paints. Or leave as is and sand smooth and make them look like natural broken tips.

Water based Acrylic paint not latex.

Check out our sponsor, Pro Taxidermy. They're in Fairbanks. You can read about them in our Taxidermy forum.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Quote Originally Posted by jdub View Post
    Good afternoon. I am looking for a reasonably priced taxidermist, in the Delta Junction/Fairbanks area, to put some antler mounts together for me. These are the first kills of my kids. 3 moose and 1 caribou so far. A squirrel chewed a couple points off of the one of the moose racks. Not sure if there is a remedy for this or not. Anyway, if you can make some recommendations, I would appreciate it. Thanks
    VanDykes has lots of supplies for about anything you could want to do with them. Please don't choose a taxidermist based on price, you can review a few threads on here about people not getting stuff back and you'll understand.