Thread: Sitka Salmon Derby Help

Smile Sitka Salmon Derby Help

Ok
    Here it is and I hate to ask but....
    I'm Down in Sitka working and decided to rent a boat for the day and try my luck at a King and have no idea where to go.
    The only time I have off is June 2nd the same day as the derby and thought I would buy a ticket and give it a try. I am not looking for a sweet spot, just a general location other than in the water as I have never been in the area. The boat comes with a finder and down rigger, so if you have any positive suggestions on where and how to's it would be great
    Thanks

look on the charts for extended humps that bait might congragate around, also look for birds working the surface.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default Great

Ok that is what I will do as I just did not have a clue where to start other than just running around with the fish finder on.
    Thanks

I'd also look for the comm trollers, they seem to have beads onthe fish, good luck!

Default Sitka Kings

FMB, all you need to do is ask at the local tackle shops or where ever you buy your derby ticket. I just sent a big pack of KoneZone Flashers to Sitka for a private fisherman. I'm not sure if there are any dealers that are stocking them in Sitka yet. The folks that rent you the boat want you to catch fish and will also try to put you on the bite. It shouldn't be a big secret where they are biting. Good luck and buy the derby ticket. You just don't know when the big one is going to bite. Mike

Default sitka kings

Head out west toward the rocks and then fish south of bird island if you don't do any good at the rocks

Quote Originally Posted by KoneZone View Post
    FMB, all you need to do is ask at the local tackle shops or where ever you buy your derby ticket. I just sent a big pack of KoneZone Flashers to Sitka for a private fisherman. I'm not sure if there are any dealers that are stocking them in Sitka yet. The folks that rent you the boat want you to catch fish and will also try to put you on the bite. It shouldn't be a big secret where they are biting. Good luck and buy the derby ticket. You just don't know when the big one is going to bite. Mike
    I rented down at Allens Marine and didn't want to seem like to much of a tourist, but will ask them a direction when I go back to pick up the boat. The big tackle shop in town ( Orions) is a total zoo with all the locals and stuff and just hated to ask to guy at the counter where to find fish with a bunch of locals hanging around. At least here I can hide behind this computer with out to much embarrassment.
    Thanks for the advice.

Default Vitskari Rocks or Six-Mile

Depending upon the size of the boat you rented from Allen Marine, I would go out to the "Rocks" [Vitskari] like Reelhook said. If you have much south wind, that spot can be dicey, but you should still be able to get out to Six-Mile and give it a go. Big, whole herring with a relatively slow roll are the ticket and have accounted for most of the winning fish in the Sitka Derby since it started.

Try to place your gear so your herring passes just beneath whatever feed you see on your finder. Have fun! I'll be out there somewhere myself burning up gas and wearing-out herring. Good luck

Thumbs up Can't wait

Quote Originally Posted by JKD View Post
    Depending upon the size of the boat you rented from Allen Marine, I would go out to the "Rocks" [Vitskari] like Reelhook said. If you have much south wind, that spot can be dicey, but you should still be able to get out to Six-Mile and give it a go. Big, whole herring with a relatively slow roll are the ticket and have accounted for most of the winning fish in the Sitka Derby since it started.

Try to place your gear so your herring passes just beneath whatever feed you see on your finder. Have fun! I'll be out there somewhere myself burning up gas and wearing-out herring. Good luck
    I went with the 18' with the Suzuki 90. We will see how the weather is on the 2nd as thats when I will have the boat. How big is big herring as I got mine already as they said buy early as they could run out. Mine are about 8" and look pretty good. The wife and I have chartered a full day on Thursday from Sitka charters and will be paying attention to the guide as well as the area taken to. Should be able to pull out some pointers from him to apply on the weekend as I am a novice for Kings, but have trolled for big Lakers on the Flathead in MT with a little success.
    Thanks again for the advice.

Default Blue Label Size

Formerly - "Blue label size" herring are my choice for trolling whole herring. Lots of people go even larger and use the Purple label size if they can get them. Personal choice, of course.

I am certain that you will pick up some ideas with a charter. I don't personally know the "Sitka Charters" mode of operation, but don't be surprized if you don't see ANY herring on the boat. Most of the Sitka charter operators I am familiar with are using hootchies and flashers so they aren't stuck with re-baiting on-the-spot or swapping-out pre-baited leaders all the time. Hootchies are faster to handle and speed is money when you are trying to get your clients' limits ASAP and move on to halibut fishing.

Default a few spots

If you get this in time.. I'd hit long island, vitscari rocks, or inner point if I had a smaller boat. Shark hole is also good. Just look for the mass of boats...

What's leading the derby?

Quote Originally Posted by 270ti View Post
    If you get this in time.. I'd hit long island, vitscari rocks, or inner point if I had a smaller boat. Shark hole is also good. Just look for the mass of boats...

What's leading the derby?
    I am in Seattle now picking up a bike and will be back in Sitka Wednesday and will find out then and post. When I get back I will be picking up a map as well as asking folks about these locations and the where about's.
    Thanks Again

Default sitka fishing

I just returned from Sitka this morning(back to work in Juneau),and the first weekend of the salmon derby was good.
    Current leader is 45.4 pounds....probably will not win it.
    Biorka Island was very good on Saturday (26th),kind of slow on Sunday(27th).There were about 45 boats there---a mix of sport and charter.We went to Salisbury Sound (the Shark Hole) on Monday(28th)and caught larger fish than at Biorka the previous two days.Also weren't as many boats up there.NOTE!!! The early,early morning bite was much better than slacktide bites......we left the dock before 4:00 A.M. both Sunday and Monday and had fast action for a while both mornings.
    Sitka point and Vitskari Rocks were both dead, but that can change overnight.The charter fleet is scoring big out at Pt, Amelia/Twin Pts.....
    talked to some charter customers at the fuel dock yesterday who had released 30 kings using barbless hooks out there.Be sure to get CURRENT information in Sitka....last weekend is old news....find out what happened YESTERDAY from someone that actually fished if possible,as opposed to a friend of a friend who heard from his neighbors buddy....
    Sharp hooks,good line,and watch other boats.Good luck!

Default Heres One

Well I got all set to enter the derby when I found out you needed to validate your entry for the day of fishing at 7:00am and there would be a line. I wanted to be one the water at 5:00am.......
    So needless to say I didn't get into the derby.
    But thanks all for the tips on where to fish. I hit Vitskari Rocks, Long Island and finally Biorka for this stretching 40#er. Almost lost him to a very pissed off Sea Lion who followed it all the way to the boat and at 1 foot away raised his head and growled something fierce at me.

Great fish for SE!!!!! COngrats!