Thread: Grouse Sighting!

Default Grouse Sighting!

Saw my first one today. Looked almost the size of a chicken! I was driving down a road in the Soapstone area looking for the DNR or BLM land that the map showed on one side of the road. Got to the end and some grouse flew up when I turned around. There was a house at the end of the road so I didn't want to hunt that close. Saw three moose on the way back and got a blurry cell phone pic.

I was hunting the highway for bears last week south of town and i could have killed 5 or 6 off the road. Most grouse i have seen in a while. Maybe we will have a good season!

so where would I find more of these birds other than on the road or near a house? Should I go up above the tree line or in the trees or swampy places? This is not like any hunting I've ever done before.

Typically find them on trails through moderate to densely forested areas, I tend to do best in mostly spruce forest however some guys do better in mixed forest. I've your looking for grouse specifically, I have never seen one above tree line, you might find ptarmigan above tree line but I have not spent any time ptarmigan hunting so I can't help you there.

I have only seen 1 bird in the areas I hunt this year so perhaps I should be asking you for tips!

Attachment 74289 Got one!!

grouse1.jpgMaybe the pic worked this try??