Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 40 Inch Big Lake Pike

Wow...that's great! Looks like a nice day, too. Lot of people fishing? I think I read there's a derby this weekend...congrats!

Default Pike

That pike is a Monster!! Congrats, I would get that one mounted.

That was a fish turned in at my marina today for the derby. The guy was super stoked. Caught on light duty gear trolling for trout. Biggest pike I have seen come out of Big Lake so far.

Think I'll need bigger herring this year through the ice.

One heck of a pike!!

Nice Pike , but man I hate seeing them in that lake.as there use to be some nice trout and char in there.

Quote Originally Posted by power drifter View Post
    Nice Pike , but man I hate seeing them in that lake.as there use to be some nice trout and char in there.
    I was thinking the same thing.

Kind of like catching nice 'Bows out of the Nancy Lakes System....Once Upon A Time.

Congratulations to the angler who got that fish!
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

i have had a couple pike around that size but hard to tell on under water cam hit out in big lake. one guy next to me caught the first one I had seen as it hit my lure all I could see on cam was what looked like a fast weed for a short time and then all of a sudden nothing but teeth and a strike then hook set with no prevail. looked to tell the guys next to me to jig fast only to see him get into a nice fish and pulled it up quick and decided to grab it by the mouth to pull it out of the hole he was so excited. needless to say it was the pike I seen or maybe a buddy of his but im thinking him or her!. went and checked it out and the guy was happy!! dropping his line back in wanting to fish more and trying even harder at it lol, but he was bleeding like crazy all over the ice, well snow I guess. turned out it was around 36-42 inches from just looking at and was supper fat just to make it harder to tell. they fished for about 10 more minutes and left, I am kinda thinking some stiches came in along the way! but who knows. I have seen a half dozen or so pike out there and none have been less then 30. the char are either huge or not there from what I have seen. the rainbows haul some major ass in that lake unless there sitting on top of like a little underwater mountain so they can see I guess like just off burnt point which is were I seen that pike caught. but the rainbows seem to only been in the larger range as well. I used to fish big lake when I was a kid not to long ago and caught lots of smaller fish with the random monster but not now. it reminds me of memory lake were I have seen this same issue. hard to believe but some of the pike I seen 2 summers ago in memory lake put almost every pike I have seen in pictures or real life to shame but just would not bite. I did catch a nice 43" pike out of there by sitting over him forever jigging a hearing in his face. oddly enough he was the smallest of the dozen sitting around him. I have only caught monster rainbows and char out of there as well the last few years. my largest char being 31" and the largest rainbow being 28" with the wifes being a monster 35.5" rainbow some how never fishing before meeting me to now being the best fisher ive met! I realy think some of our best lakes have taken a tragic turn that would be nice to stop. big lake is what I would say is my favorite and the best in my mind in south central and it wont be for long. memory could turn into just pike for all I care if they stayed huge and stayed there but we all know that just isn't how it works. we all need to come up with something to rid the lakes of this issue. I know at memory lake if I was allowed to use a net to take pike. I could have used a cast net and caught 50 in one year that were beasts which in turn would have never hurt a single trout and realy made a dent in the pike population. rod and reel im out of ideas it just isn't working for me they are way over fed.

Quote Originally Posted by troutslayer View Post
    i have had a couple pike around that size but hard to tell on under water cam hit out in big lake. one guy next to me caught the first one I had seen as it hit my lure all I could see on cam was what looked like a fast weed for a short time and then all of a sudden nothing but teeth and a strike then hook set with no prevail. looked to tell the guys next to me to jig fast only to see him get into a nice fish and pulled it up quick and decided to grab it by the mouth to pull it out of the hole he was so excited. needless to say it was the pike I seen or maybe a buddy of his but im thinking him or her!. went and checked it out and the guy was happy!! dropping his line back in wanting to fish more and trying even harder at it lol, but he was bleeding like crazy all over the ice, well snow I guess. turned out it was around 36-42 inches from just looking at and was supper fat just to make it harder to tell. they fished for about 10 more minutes and left, I am kinda thinking some stiches came in along the way! but who knows. I have seen a half dozen or so pike out there and none have been less then 30. the char are either huge or not there from what I have seen. the rainbows haul some major ass in that lake unless there sitting on top of like a little underwater mountain so they can see I guess like just off burnt point which is were I seen that pike caught. but the rainbows seem to only been in the larger range as well. I used to fish big lake when I was a kid not to long ago and caught lots of smaller fish with the random monster but not now. it reminds me of memory lake were I have seen this same issue. hard to believe but some of the pike I seen 2 summers ago in memory lake put almost every pike I have seen in pictures or real life to shame but just would not bite. I did catch a nice 43" pike out of there by sitting over him forever jigging a hearing in his face. oddly enough he was the smallest of the dozen sitting around him. I have only caught monster rainbows and char out of there as well the last few years. my largest char being 31" and the largest rainbow being 28" with the wifes being a monster 35.5" rainbow some how never fishing before meeting me to now being the best fisher ive met! I realy think some of our best lakes have taken a tragic turn that would be nice to stop. big lake is what I would say is my favorite and the best in my mind in south central and it wont be for long. memory could turn into just pike for all I care if they stayed huge and stayed there but we all know that just isn't how it works. we all need to come up with something to rid the lakes of this issue. I know at memory lake if I was allowed to use a net to take pike. I could have used a cast net and caught 50 in one year that were beasts which in turn would have never hurt a single trout and realy made a dent in the pike population. rod and reel im out of ideas it just isn't working for me they are way over fed.
    wow!!!! seriously gonna make a statement like that with no pics to back it up? pics or it didnt happen.

Good News is this was the only pike turned in for the derby. We have personally speared several smaller pike in Big Lake this summer..... ;o(
    Char and Dollies were the pro dominate fish turned in during the derby... lots of trout too... we had a biologist there taking pike data and talking about Pike.. luckily pike are not terribly prolific in Big Lake now. Every one we catch is one less.

Default Pike

Fishing in big lake has been slow for years, I wish they would stock more pike in it for increased fishing opportunity. Itd be fun to spear a mess of them.

Quote Originally Posted by iyouktug View Post
    Fishing in big lake has been slow for years, I wish they would stock more pike in it for increased fishing opportunity. Itd be fun to spear a mess of them.
    stocking more pike in Big lake is one of the most idiotic things I've ever heard of

Nice Pike BTW!

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by komocazie74 View Post
    stocking more pike in Big lake is one of the most idiotic things I've ever heard of . .

Maybe trolling for more than trout. . . . . ?

stocking more pike in Big lake is one of the most idiotic things I've ever heard of
    That's for sure.

Nice Pike BTW!
    Its just my opinion, no need to draw offense.

I hope to God your kidding......

Wink

I hope to God you're [trolling] ...... Attachment 74209......

An "opinion" that would see the further decimation of local fisheries stocks, is in and of itself.....offensive.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

It is your opinion, but the problem is opinions like this have led to the distribution of northern pike, which are an invasive species, into Southcentral waters.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast