Thread: Chesapeake Bay Pups?

Default Chesapeake Bay Pups?

I am looking for a chesapeake bay retriever pup. I am located in the bush outside Bethel. I really want a new hunting dog and family companion. If anyone knows of some upcoming litters or breeders that I can contact, anything will help.

Thank you

I know wildwood kennels up in TOK is having a litter soon with the same sire, and dam my pup is out of. The owners name is Sue Brown. I have been very happy mine, and he has been a real treat to work with. Has been hunting with me this year and doing very well for his age.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/showthread.php/90931-Started-Chessie-for-Sale Attached link is from a few years ago but my guess is if Mary doesn't have a litter planned she will know someone who does so give her a shout.
    Jesse
    HR SHR JR's Gunny Dog "Ermey"
    SR JR's Marsh Mangling Mindy
    SR JR's LNR Thicket Thrashing Trixie

Mary does have some wonderful dogs as well, it's been a few months since i have seen her but at the time she had mentioned a possible litter. Her female Berra is a sweatheart.

Awesome guys.. I really appreciate it. Cant wait to start a new dog. Nothing like it!

thanks Sapere! Just got the number!

http://www.retrievertraining.net/for...hessie-Puppies

If you want to choose from some of the best in country, take a look at those listed here. These are primarly field lines and not show lines, so many show lines have the hunting genes bred out of them, takes a lot of looking to find really good field Chessie. Even lots of field people even show and put as much importance on their show qualities as they do field qualities. I'm not knocking anybody here, just want you to get what you are looking for in a Chessie. If you see a lot of show champians in their pedigree, you know they were bred for show. Look for FC and AFC bloodlines for a hunt dog. JMO Bud
    Wasilla

Three years ago I purchased a pureblood Chesapeake Bay retriever from a kennel where the parents where a combination of field and show dogs. I wanted a dog that was good around people and I really did not care about the hunting part. My dog is great around people and other dogs the only draw back is she is 100% retriever. 24/7 all she wants to do is retrieve. I have had Chesapeakes from Tok, and from Delta all which have been good dogs but this last one is the best so far.

hi tundraman. whatever you do make sure the sire and dam have their health clearances. there are four tests that should have been done prior to the breeding on both dogs. the four tests are: CERF for genetic eye diseases, progressive retinal atrophy for a disease that causes blindness, clearances for hip dysplasia and a test for degenerative myelopathy (lou gehrig's disease.) these are the four tests recommended by the American Chesapeake Club. don't buy a pup whose sire and dam have not had these tests done. it could lead to heartbreak and there is no excuse for breeders not doing these. as far as show vs field, the chessie as you know continues to be a dual purpose dog. don't shy away from a pedigree that includes show dogs. those are dogs that have proper conformation and likely good temperaments, and most of them are probably hunting fools. i like to put titles on both ends of the dog, with a CH on the front and a field title on the back.

I also wanted to say thank you for forum members and their kind words about my dogs and Bera (CH Chesaka Blazing Bera JH)IMG_1916.jpgIMG_2154.jpg in particular. I will be taking her to the national show specialty next week in Colorado where I will compete in hunting *****, breed and try to get her WDX. She has already qualified for her WDX having last received two senior hunter passes. For the summer she was 4-for-4 for her JH title, and 2-for-3 for senior passes. Not bad for a 2 year old dog in her first summer of hunt test competition. I plan on breeding her mother, CH WR Chesaka Zoe's Bruin Hilde WDX to a beautifully-pedigreed dog owned by my sister in Massachusetts. He is Sugar Tree's Sea Jetty SH (needs one pass to get his master hunter title.) I have been hunting with both mother and daughter dogs this fall. Attached you will see pics. If I do say so, Hilde looks great and did a nice job in the marsh for a dog that had not been hunted for two years.

Another site to look for Chesapeakes with some rules for posting ads - http://teamchesapeake.infopop.cc/eve/forums

oops. certainly didn't mean my post as an ad. more a glimmer in my eye thing at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Chesaka View Post
    oops. certainly didn't mean my post as an ad. more a glimmer in my eye thing at the moment.
    Mary, I don't think that was what was meant. I didn't take your response as an ad. I linked the ad you had a couple of years ago just so the OP would have your contact info. Thinking that Karen was saying that the website she linked has stipulations when posting dogs for sale on that site.
    Jesse
    HR SHR JR's Gunny Dog "Ermey"
    SR JR's Marsh Mangling Mindy
    SR JR's LNR Thicket Thrashing Trixie

I looked for a long time for my girl, over a year. Remember how long you will have this dog. Take your time and get what you want

There is some very good advice. Chesaka helped me find a litter and I have an outstanding dog with a lot of drive and great personality and healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by Chesaka View Post
    hi tundraman. whatever you do make sure the sire and dam have their health clearances. there are four tests that should have been done prior to the breeding on both dogs. the four tests are: CERF for genetic eye diseases, progressive retinal atrophy for a disease that causes blindness, clearances for hip dysplasia and a test for degenerative myelopathy (lou gehrig's disease.) these are the four tests recommended by the American Chesapeake Club. don't buy a pup whose sire and dam have not had these tests done. it could lead to heartbreak and there is no excuse for breeders not doing these. as far as show vs field, the chessie as you know continues to be a dual purpose dog. don't shy away from a pedigree that includes show dogs. those are dogs that have proper conformation and likely good temperaments, and most of them are probably hunting fools. i like to put titles on both ends of the dog, with a CH on the front and a field title on the back.

Quote Originally Posted by yukon View Post
    There is some very good advice. Chesaka helped me find a litter and I have an outstanding dog with a lot of drive and great personality and healthy.
    An' he's handsome too....

...... For a brown dog.

Mary -- I didn't take your post as an ad either. Just wanted to offer another place to look for 'Peakes & know the TC folks question ads that don't meet the requirements

Karen