Thread: What are my options???

Default What are my options???

Hey everyone,
    Here's the deal, this is the first year since I can remember that I haven't gone big game hunting.
    I'm still a nonresident until the first of the year. I've worked pretty much all year. I get off work on the 31st of October. Do I have a caribou option? I really want to go hunting, but don't know if I can afford a trip to the islands deer hunting.
    Oh I live in the big lake area.

Default Options

I pondered on this for quite some time and what i came up with is,... You really don't have many options at all.
    A: you are nonresident
    B: most affordable options are closed til next year.
    C: you don't get off work til oct 31st.
    D: if you can't afford an island deer hunt you probly can't afford any of the caribou options.
    you may be able to find a black bear but by that time they will be way up high and hard to get to lad.

Here's my thinking... out of state tags are pretty spendy and while haul rd caribou are an option.... do you want to spend the $$$ on a tag you don't stand a particularly good chance at filling? Haul Rd hunting isn't exactly cheap either.... lots of gas and other expenses to get up there in the area.

Here's what I'd do... spend my $$$ on a black bear tag and hit the Seward Hwy south of Anch or similar alpine terrain every night and weekend you can. With the bears in hyperphagia you should be able to catch one eating in the old berries and put the sneak on it. Probably your most affordable and best chance hunt going right now.

Kill a few ptarmies or some grouse while you're at it and call it a successful season. Start planning for next year.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

How do you feel about small game? Hares, grouse, and ptarmigan are all options and the nr license is cheap.
    My only gear sponsor is the salvation army - Dick Griffith

Geez I was afraid of this! Lol
    Well I've got a hell of a bird dog, I guess I'll spend my time and gas working him this year!
    Who wants to go huntin!!!

how about Predator calling it don't cost much just time """ WOLF """"" if you are A lucky ONE

If you have 15k Alaska air miles you can fly to Adak out on the Aleutians. On Adak caribou is no-limit, no closed season. But if you don't have the air miles it can be quite spendy to buy a ticket. If you have a stout tent and some stout legs you can do that hunt really cheap. There are also atvs and Argos to be rented there to help get around the upper portion of the island. There are also houses to rent too. The caribou are supposed to move closer to town the once the snow starts to fly. If this interests you there are numerous posts on this forum that have loads of info about hunting there. One thing to keep in mind about Adak, the Aleut work for Adak means birthplace of the winds. That, and "My God, The Wind!" Sum up my experience there. But it remains one of my favorite hunts. And the most productive.

Quote Originally Posted by SamWiseGamgee View Post
    If you have 15k Alaska air miles you can fly to Adak out on the Aleutians. On Adak caribou is no-limit, no closed season. But if you don't have the air miles it can be quite spendy to buy a ticket. If you have a stout tent and some stout legs you can do that hunt really cheap. There are also atvs and Argos to be rented there to help get around the upper portion of the island. There are also houses to rent too. The caribou are supposed to move closer to town the once the snow starts to fly. If this interests you there are numerous posts on this forum that have loads of info about hunting there. One thing to keep in mind about Adak, the Aleut work for Adak means birthplace of the winds. That, and "My God, The Wind!" Sum up my experience there. But it remains one of my favorite hunts. And the most productive.
    Now there's an option!
    Thank you

Default Adak

Those adak winds in November would absolutely eat you alive, plus there's nowhere to get away from it and no means to make a fire. It's an option, but best be prepared for some miserable conditions.

Adak always seemed like a cool adventure. I can't find any flights on alaska air's website. Does anyone know if they have a certain schedule or if they still fly out there?

I don't think Alaska Air services Adak anymore. If they don't, someone else has to I would think. Maybe ERA or Pen Air? If this is the case, would they accept the 15,000 Alaska Air miles?

Well wrong again. Alaska Air is still flying to Adak.

Quote Originally Posted by pa_pride View Post
    Adak always seemed like a cool adventure. I can't find any flights on alaska air's website. Does anyone know if they have a certain schedule or if they still fly out there?
    It's probably your dates. They only fly out there twice a week. Used to be Sunday and Thursday, if I remember correctly.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Yep, your days are correct Mike. Rates seem pretty reasonable as well. I haven't looked into atv rentals or anything yet. Seems like a great idea to me!

Quote Originally Posted by iyouktug View Post
    Those adak winds in November would absolutely eat you alive, plus there's nowhere to get away from it and no means to make a fire. It's an option, but best be prepared for some miserable conditions.
    After spending several years out in the Chain.... I can tell you the wind and rain in Nov. are absolutely not to be underestimated. Winds over 60mph were common and driven horizontal rain makes everything except hellys or grundens worthless in about 30 mins. It might make a good hunt but prepare for a suffer-fest cause it might very well be one. I would look into staying in one of the houses in town if at all possible as well as prepare for an extended stay- bad weather limits flights pretty regularly.

The caribou there get huge and the local folks tend to know where they are.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Quote Originally Posted by pa_pride View Post
    Yep, your days are correct Mike. Rates seem pretty reasonable as well. I haven't looked into atv rentals or anything yet. Seems like a great idea to me!
    If you're looking for ATVs you might look up Isaac Helmericks. He owns a little company out there called Aleutian Outfitters. At one time they rented lodging (very well-kept places), ATVs and more. Isaac has moved from Adak, but he might have handed off management to someone local. I have sort of lost track of him, so I don't know for sure what he's doing these days, but it would be worth checking out.

Does anyone else out there know an ATV rental outfit on Adak? I know there have been issues in the past with nonlocal hunters getting "off trail" and tearing the place up a bit. The refuge folks were tracking some of that with an eye toward some restrictions. Some people's kids...

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

We Rented an ATV and a house from Jack Stewart. He is a good guy. He will treat you right. He also rents Pick-ups and Argos. When I go back, Hopefully next fall, We will be renting a house and an Argo. The enclosed heated cab of his Argos will be well worth the extra money. I highly recommend renting a house also if funds permit. They have a garage for hanging meat, showers, and a washer/dryer. I can send you Jack Stewarts contact info if you would like.

I will gladly take his info. I wont be able to make it for 2 years, but my plan is to drag the wife along and try to get her some shooting, it will be her first bou hunt.

Geez I might have to look into this! I love misery!!! Sounds right up my alley

Misery Loves company. Bring a friend. :-) definitely bring all your heavy rain gear, ski goggles and wind proof face mask. It was my favorite and most fun hunt I've done yet. But beware of the wind. :-)