Thread: 7mm RUM

Default 7mm RUM

In the past I had posted an inquirey as to anyone's experience reloading for the 7mm RUM prior to my starting a load workup. I got no responses regarding reloading but did have several requests to post my results. I had really wanted to load 160 gr. bullets but was not successful. My best results were with 150 gr. Barnes TTSX and US 869 getting consistent 5 shot groups into an inch or less at 200 yards at slightly over 3300fps. I would like to note that it seems US 869 may be a vastly under utilized powder. In my experience it meters well, gives excellent velocity along with outastanding accuracy. Although not an Extreme Powder, it is reported to be relatively "temperature stable". I am currently trying it in one of my 300 RUM as well as a custom light weight 30-378 and to date the results look promising.
    "Actions speak louder than words - 'nough said"

I have 100 rounds of new 7RUM brass Id sell if you need some.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

please see PM.

I would highly recommend giving RL33 a look in both the 7 and 300 RUMs. In the 300 RUM it's best with bullet over 200 gr. Probably too slow for anything lighter. A lot of guys are having very good results with it in the overbore magnums.
    "You will never know how much it cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it."
    ~ John Quincy Adams

To date I have been real happy with US 869. I would like to try RL 33 but anytime I ask any of the local gun shops about powder they just roll their eyes and mumble something like "don't hold your breath".

Quote Originally Posted by shphtr View Post
    To date I have been real happy with US 869. I would like to try RL 33 but anytime I ask any of the local gun shops about powder they just roll their eyes and mumble something like "don't hold your breath".
    Don't know what your shipping costs are up there, But I got mine from Powder Valley online. They get it in now and then. Maybe you can do a group buy.
    "You will never know how much it cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it."
    ~ John Quincy Adams

Rl-22 has been my best success with Barnes 160 tsx. I've loaded 140/150/160s. 869 was good, rl-25 was ok, rl-22 was best.

Great velocity and 1 1/4" groups at 200 yards.

Disclaimer from my non-existent lawyer, this was in my gun work your own loads. Blah blah blah.

Barnes tsxbt 160 82 grains rl-22. 3.670 oal.

I loaded some Ttsxbt 150s that were also good.

Last week Boondocks had RL33 on hand. And RL22.

Indeed, I picked up 2 pounds of RL 33 and am now looking for recommended starting loads for 300 RUM, 7mm RUM, and 30-378. I love RL 22 and RL 25 and have a number of excellent loads worked up using those powders but am concerned about their reputation for poor performance in cold temperatures. Once I have established what I consider a good load (consistent 5 shot groups into 1" or less at 100 yards) I will reload subsequent powder lots of the same powder by whatever it takes to equal the established vel for that load. It is not unusual for vel's to vary from lot to lot from 25 to 100 fps (and sometimes more!) and 50 to 100 fps can be the difference between a "good load, and an "OK" load. Just my criteria for hunting loads. Anyway, any recommendations for starting loads with RL 33 would be appreciated. The current Alliant Web site is woefully lacking for this type of information and their technician "Dan" never seems to be in!!

Indeed, I picked up 2 pounds of RL 33 and am now looking for recommended starting loads for 300 RUM, 7mm RUM, and 30-378. I love RL 22 and RL 25 and have a number of excellent loads worked up using those powders but am concerned about their reputation for poor performance in cold temperatures. Once I have established what I consider a good load (consistent 5 shot groups into 1" or less at 100 yards) I will reload subsequent powder lots of the same powder by whatever it takes to equal the established vel for that load. It is not unusual for vel's to vary from lot to lot from 25 to 100 fps (and sometimes more!) and 50 to 100 fps can be the difference between a "good load, and an "OK" load. Just my criteria for hunting loads. Anyway, any recommendations for starting loads with RL 33 would be appreciated. The current Alliant Web site is woefully lacking for this type of information and their technician "Dan" never seems to be in!!
    In the 300 RUM, a good starting point for a 230 gr bullet would be about 94 gr. I used 90 gr with 230 Berger Hybrids for barrel break-in and the MV was about 2700 fps. Most guys are using 100 -102 gr for max loads with that bullet. You are going to see best results with heavy for bullets using RL33. Some testing by a couple of guys also showed lower ES's with bullets close to the lands.

Here are a couple of threads you might find interesting. First is one by Kirby Allen testing RL33 in his 338 AX (338 LM Imp) Another member posted a lot of good data on the 300 RUM in that thread as well toward the end of the thread.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...3/index18.html

http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...-blood-122542/

I haven't seen any data with the 7 RUM yet. Kirby's testing showed it to be close to 50 BMG and H870 in burn rate so you might use that as a reference to get a starting point.
    ~ John Quincy Adams