Thread: trap question

Default trap question

Ive been getting my traps ready for the season. ive removed all the factory oil, allowed to rust a bit, and dyed them. now im ready to pack the away till they can be set. my question is will it hurt the springs on my 120's if i compress and lock them before packing so i dont have to do it in the field when its colder and im in more of a hurry. i wont be actually arming them just compressing the spring and putting the locks on. thanks in advance for your advise

Matt

Matt, I have left 220's and 330's compressed for an entire year and can't tell any difference. In fact I was hoping the 330's would weaken some! I can't say the 120's would be any different, especially as close as you are to using them... Good Luck!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

No It will not hurt them anymore then them being set on your trapline for a few months, I preset my 120's and 330's as well it's just more efficient.........
    I once held the yardstick of anothers perfection, I threw it down and carved my own................

Supporting Member

Agree with what Thunder Chicken says. I leave all my body grip trap springs "set" whenever not in use and have never noticed any weakening of the springs (and some of the traps are pretty old).

I preset mine before going in the field to set the traps, but let the safety catches and springs off before storing in the off season.

thank you for the advise. i went ahead and compressed all the springs and have them stacked in there action packer till season starts. an added bonus is they stacked nicer and dont "tangle" as bad without the spring locks not flopping around.

matt

definitely speeds up the process when you got lots of traps to set. I still have a month and a half till I start thinking about setting any traps since the fur primes up about December here..........................
    I once held the yardstick of anothers perfection, I threw it down and carved my own................

I wait until I get about ready to start trapping before I preset the springs on my body grip traps. I have several old traps that are still in good shape but have replaced a few that had weak springs also. I used to leave some of mine preset but did notice some of them getting weaker. It don't take that long to preset them and check them over a few days before I start trapping.