Thread: How much ammo do alaskians burn at a shooting range ?

Default How much ammo do alaskians burn at a shooting range ?

I have been to many ranges here in the lower 48, and the volume of ammo spent is significant like it can't be burnt fast enough .I am fairly conservitive ,with the sole purpouse of zeroing in my scopes or getting the feel of a new gun. I may only spend 50 to 100 rounds all day,unless I am training some one , how about the rest of you ??

Depends on what type of gun and how many. If I take the time to lug the arsenal out to the range I'll be good for
    400-600 rounds. I would tend to be more conservitive in AK as bulk ammo is harder to get and more$$$$.
    If we all agreed....this would be no fun

Being that I have my own range off the back deck, the amount of shooting depends! When I am working up loads it may be only 16-20 rounds. When I am working with a new shooter, it could be 50 or so out of several different guns. Getting ready to go hunting it is more then likely only about 5-10 rounds. Yesterday, just to make sure that I was still 'good to go' with one of my carry guns, sent 50 rounds down range.
    However, being that powder is getting hard to come by, we are not shooting as much as we used too. When the wife gets shooting, than are rounds down range almost doubles. She likes to shoot a lot also!

Usually less than 50 rounds but I think it is more productive to shoot less rounds more often than more rounds less often. Usually after I have fired 30/40 rounds I tend to start playing more than being serious about my practicing. I don't worry about lack of ammo as I cast and have plenty of powder, primers and lead but I also don't shoot just to sling lead and make noise. So, 30/50 rounds per week keeps me where I want to be.

Default I am both supprized and assured .

With the cost of ammo and materials rising, I figured that the more serous hunters would likely be more conservivitve . 400-500 rounds is astonishing . There is a tendency now for some to move into air guns for the fun of shooting and training . So many folk are new shooters, that are having a hard time getting ammo to practice with. I'm afraid that their interest will vanish in the closet with the new gun they have no ammo for . Some one was complaining that cow boy competition is diminishing ,sad to see. I am thrilled to hear that the is compitition going on up there , wish I could be there in more ways then one.thanks for the replies.

At least one brick of .22's each trip to the range. We just love busting rocks while the center fires cool down. 50-100 rounds for each center fire revolver/pistol. Most hunting rifles will see 20-30 rounds down the tube.

Quote Originally Posted by Arleigh View Post
    With the cost of ammo and materials rising, I figured that the more serous hunters would likely be more conservivitve . 400-500 rounds is astonishing . There is a tendency now for some to move into air guns for the fun of shooting and training . So many folk are new shooters, that are having a hard time getting ammo to practice with. I'm afraid that their interest will vanish in the closet with the new gun they have no ammo for . Some one was complaining that cow boy competition is diminishing ,sad to see. I am thrilled to hear that the is compitition going on up there , wish I could be there in more ways then one.thanks for the replies.

400-600 rounds which the bulk would be mil-surp ammo shot with the slide-fire (30 rounds in 2.5 seconds)
    If we all agreed....this would be no fun

Default Boy ,now I reall feel like a cheap skate.

I enjoy shooting ,but after a while my shoulder starts talking to me as well as my wallet, with the center fire arms , so air guns are more convienient and quieter and easier on my body, and cheaper to shoot especially if I'm just punching paper. I would have thought that being in alaska things would be more expensive there,particularly ammo.

Default Yes, things are ore expensive here

Quote Originally Posted by Arleigh View Post
    I enjoy shooting ,but after a while my shoulder starts talking to me as well as my wallet, with the center fire arms , so air guns are more convienient and quieter and easier on my body, and cheaper to shoot especially if I'm just punching paper. I would have thought that being in alaska things would be more expensive there,particularly ammo.
    Yes Ammo is more expensive here...however shooting is also more heavily ingrained in the culture here then in most places. As is a culture of self reliance... Thus most shooters in this state are reloaders and hoarders in the first place.
    There is still deals to be had on bulk buys. And most folks I know are sitting on enough powder and primers to last many years for a heavy shooter and a life time for the moderate shooter.

Most Alaskans have stores of food and firewood and powder milk....gunpowder and primers is just considered one of the basic consumables right along with toilet paper and chainsaw gas.

That being said I don't shoot as much as I used to in an effort to conserve my supply. It's still nothing to run through 200 rounds of 22lr and 200 rounds of 5.56 and 100 rounds of 45 ACP In a week. That's about normal for me right now.

OP, what caliber gun are you shooting 'that your right shoulder starts hurting'? While not large, I can shoot my 338WM for quite a while before it 'starts talking to me'!

I generally shoot less than 20 rounds on every trip to the "range". Thats mainly because I shoot in my backyard and I'm usually just running some different loads to try and I generally wont load up more than a box of test rounds at a time.

I shoot from inside a soundbarrier that directs some of the noise away from the neighbors and I try to limit my shooting times to reasonable hours. I wish more people had a bit of common courtesy when it came to shooting in rural populated areas.

Even though it was an unproductive hunting season for me, I'm looking forward to doing more shooting now that my hunting is basically done. I never seem to do much shooting during moose season....2 rounds at the most...

I'm not a big shooter, and I don't reload, but of course I hunt. When I hit the range it is to get the hunting tools tuned in and some practice. I probably go through 100 22 lr. or about ten rounds through a centerfire rifle (unless zero is compromised) or probably 50 rounds through a pistol (cuz it's fun).

I shoot a 338 as well and after ten rounds, my accuracy curve is sloping downward, so I understand. Not to mention the expense if one was to run through a box or two.....